Where to find a rubber glue roller??

OK - this may seem like a stupid question - but here goes.
Where can I get a rubber glue roller? Something on the order of what David Marks uses or Nahm when he rolls out contact cement?
I got that little bottle w/ roller top from woodcraft and its a POS - doesnt roll at all. I asked to people at the 3 local borgs and just got blank stairs - then pointed me towards the 1/2" nap rollers.
Anycase - any suggestions?
Thanks Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
remove _ to get the correct address

Two choices, you can try a veneer roller - Woodcraft and most of the suppliers carry them. Second choice, I've been told that nap-less paint roller that is made for rolling contact cement works well but I have no experience with this. TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Tue, Nov 9, 2004, 4:17am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@here.com (RobV) mumbles: <snip> got blank stairs <snip>
???
Anycase - any suggestions?
I thought about getting one. Once. Then figured out it probably would be a real PITA to clean. So, now just spread glue with a popsicle stick, piece of wood, or a brush.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:47:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I've found that for spreading stuff like that, and even wood glue on big areas, a square piece of plastic out of the middle of a coffee can lid works well... sort of like a disposable squeegee...
Sort of like the 3 bears... I tried wood/plywood scraps and they were too stiff... then tried cardboard and if was too soft... the plastic has a nice bend to it with enough stiffness and spring to do a good job as a spreader.. YMMV

When I was laminating a layer of foam board onto my train table (4x8-ish) I used a plastic notch trowel that I'd rejected for tiling.
The notches left just the right amount of glue for that application.
When I laminated the tabletop for my router bench, I used a roller spreader and found it a bit cumbersome on that large a survace (2x4) but it left a thinner layer that worked better for the material.

Is it for contact cement or wood glue? If wood glues, then there are these new paint rollers that are about 4" long and narrower than standard, with a fine thin foam rubber "as bristle" (so to speak). This was shown in the current WWJ magazine about bench making. It's what I will buy soon when I glue up my bench top. Any paint store, home improvement center type of beeswax will have them.
Alex
I use a roller use for linoleum blocks from a local artist supply store.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

How do you clean them off afterwards?
Josie

For yellow glue just rinse under the tap.
UA100
Wed, Nov 10, 2004, 12:48am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (UnisawA100) says: For yellow glue just rinse under the tap.
That might be fine, if you've got a tap in the shop. I'd have to make a trip to the house, and by the time I was in a position to do that, I figure the glue'd be too dry for that to work.
Of course, I suppoe you could have a container of water handy to toss it in.
However, I've had very satisfactory results with a brush, so I think I'll just stick with that. Or, a popsicle stick, piece of scrap wood, or stiff plastic (slight problem with the plastic tho, I probably wouldn't have any handy).
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
<<However, I've had very satisfactory results with a brush, so I think I'll just stick with that. Or, a popsicle stick, piece of scrap wood, or stiff plastic (slight problem with the plastic tho, I probably wouldn't have any handy). >>
If you are gluing laminate, isn't a scrap of that a piece of stiff plastic?
Lee

Wed, Nov 10, 2004, 12:28am snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (LeeGordon) asks: If you are gluing laminate, isn't a scrap of that a piece of stiff plastic?
Dunno, I don't use laminates.
But, that reminds me. For a bit, I did use a wide, not real thick, plastic ice scraper for spreading glue on large surfaces. Worked well enough, but then found out that, thinning the glue with water, then using a paint brush, worked a whole lot better, faster, easier.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
Try here http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath7&products_id82

How about a laminate roller?
Barry

I use a rubber print brayer (roller) from an art store. Come in various widths and clean up easy. Just dump your glue on the boards and roll away.
david

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 8-298
I've used 3 of these disposable rollers for approximately 10 laminate jobs. They probably have 5 jobs left. After I'm done, I let them sit in mineral spirits over night and dry them. Highly reccommend. SH

Cool! I'll be using these on my next bent lamination project!
Thanks! TWS
the morons at the tool section at the borg did not recognize a tool used by woodworkers , how unique! the borg does carry them but there in the section where the floors are near the vinyl tile and wood floors are.
len.

You can find them on the internet as printers rollers or brayers. Do a search for Brayer. Here is one site http://www.testrite.com/brayersi2.htm
--
Ross