Where to find a hinges for a small stool

I need to make a small stool out of 3/4 plywood stock with folding legs. The

top will be about 13"X15" and the legs about 7" tall. I want the legs to

fold inward and flat when not in use but swing out at 90 degrees, AND LOCK,

when the stool is set up. Is there such a hinge? I tried looking at some

"bulter tray" hinges but they all start at 180 degrees and then go to

  1. I

need a hinge that goes from 0 degrees to 90. The other thing I considered

was using somehow pinning the legs when they are at 90 (open) but I don't

know what I'd use. Help appreciated.

Reply to
Christina Johansson

I use these or the folding legs on my table saw outfeed table:

and have used these on smaller tables:

Swingman

I made a coffee table for my daughter, and as she was moving a lot, I made the legs to fold up and also lock down into position. What I did was to use a batten across the table and capture two "T" nuts in the batten and had screws go through the stretcher on the legs, which are not much over 7", and screw into the captured "T" nuts.

For what its worth.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I assume that the stool will have 2 "legs" each actually taking the place of 2 individual legs. Sort of like an upside down U shape.

If you make the legs open to somewhat past 90 degrees, so they are splayed when open, the stool will be more stable and you can control the angle simply by cutting a bevel on the edge of the leg that butts against the top of the stool when in the open position. You can use common butt hinges too. A small chain or cable connecting the 2 legs will keep them from opening too far or spreading apart under load.

Each leg half looks something like this:

Reply to
Larry W