where to buy wood in west/southern CT

I am trying hard as i can to avoid HD, but i am getting frustrated, other lumber mills have very bad selection (from hardwood only oak) worse service and prices than HD. Any advice where to buy nice hardwood lumber in small quantities in this area? New Haven Bridgeport .. thanks
Pawel wrote:

Continue past New Haven to Branford and see Carl @ The Wood Rack. He's located in an industrial park behind the Branford USS Chowder Pot, which is located on Rt. 1. He's a one-man shop, so you're dealing directly with the owner.
If all of your wood has been from home centers, prepare to faint.
He's also got pro quality supplies like sandpaper and drawer slides. Carl is also very helpful during the selection process if you tell him what you're looking for.
<http://www.thewoodrack.net/
Tell him Barry the check ripper-in-halfer sent you.
barry's reply looks interesting,i'll have to check it out.i found another place a little farther away.it's M. L. Condon Co., 260 Ferris Avenue, White Plains, NY, 914-946-4111.about a 35 min trip on 95 on a good day.they carry exotic and domestic hardwoods and ply and veneers.
It's probably about an hour's drive for you, but if you don't mind traveling to Manchester, CT, I really like Harris Woodworking. There is absolutely no comparison between them and Home Depot. They have many types of wood, in lots of grades and thicknesses. No extra charge for planing to whatever thickness you want and providing one straight edge. Quite the candy store!
Here's their website: www.harrisent.com
I have no connection to them, financial or otherwise. I'm just a satisfied customer.
On 13 Jan 2006 12:36:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

When was the last time you were there?
Harris' selection has serious waned in recent times and scuttlebutt has it that they're not really interested in the retail hardwood biz anymore. Even Dennis, the guy who usually greeted customers at the wood racks has moved on to CT Wood Group in Enfield.
On the other hand, if you have been there in the last quarter or so, and the selection was good to excellent, I'd be extremely happy to be wrong. More sources are always better! <G>
Because of Harris' crappy selection, my last year's trips were to The Wood Rack as a first choice and CWG as a second. CWG has a selection that is truly terrific, but The Wood Rack is closer to me.
CWG is also excellent if milling is needed, as he's more of a factory than TWR. CWG is in fact, a genuine POINTY STICK FACTORY! <G> I had them do a few hundred feet of trim for me a few months ago. I really liked the service, and felt the price was fair.
Barry
<<When was the last time you were there?
Harris' selection has serious waned in recent times and scuttlebutt has it that they're not really interested in the retail hardwood biz anymore. Even Dennis, the guy who usually greeted customers at the wood racks has moved on to CT Wood Group in Enfield.>>
Last time I went to Harris, probably in late summer or early fall, the story I got was that they were holding off on restocking the hardwoods because they wanted to expand the cabinet shop into the area where the wood racks are and that they were planning to move the retail wood department to a different building in the same neighborhood but they hadn't settled on a location. The guy also said they hoped to accomplish this by the end of the year or thereabouts. I just checked their website last week for any evidence that any of this had actually taken place and it does not appear that it has. It's entirely possible that they were blowing smoke up my ass so I think my next wood buying excursion will be to CWG. I see theyre going to be at the Wood Works show in Springfield this weekend so I'll check them out there.
Lee

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:56:35 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

They had zippo in July, my last trip. I got right back in the truck and headed to Enfield.
I heard rumors that one of the owners, possibly Mr. Harris himself (the recent " Woodshop News" cover subject), was wanting to buy the retail end of the biz out, so that would fit with what you heard. The rest of it went that he wanted to open up a retail store specializing in hardwood, sheet goods, finishing supplies, and possibly some high-end hardware. I'd like to see him succeed, but CWG is awesome, Woodcraft is convenient for small quantities, and OFS sells pro finishing materials 10 minutes away, so he won't have it easy.
Barry