Where to buy Powermatic, Grizzly, or General Internatioal WW machines in UK..?.

Dear all,
1) I been searching for the suppliers/dealers in UK for stationar woodworking machines (saw bench/table saw, wedge type jointer and 15 thicknesser/planer of the following make(s) : Powermatic, Grizzly or General International.
Any hint/pointer is greatly appreciated (web address much better)
2) How do you all rephrase text in between > of the thread you are replying ?

-- Sandingdust

Can't give you what doesn't exist. Motors would have to be changed, and shipping would be a heavy addition. My information is that Powermatic and General sell only in the U.S. and Canada, while Grizzly sells only in the U.S. They're importing this stuff in one direction, so I guess changing it and importing it in another direction doesn't show enough profit potential to be worth the hassles and added expense.

The tools are there, just with different nameplates. Limited number of Pacific rim foundries, though at times it may not seem so, and they'll build to anyone's specs and apply the proper color for anyone who puts down the bucks, pounds or Euros.
Note that you're really buying quality control, not necessarily different machines. Maybe an upgrade bearing or two, higher spec motor, better cleaning of the casting, etc. Also note that your vendor is the one you must go through for parts and service. Cross-importing, even if it were possible, wouldn't mean much with the duties and taxes necessitated by your political structure. What's the VAT over there now? Here we mainly tax incomes rather than purchases, so the prices look lower since the dollars have already become less before the buyer gets them.

and or GI
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
"Sandingdust" wrote in message: | | Dear all, | 1) I been searching for the suppliers/dealers in UK for stationary | woodworking machines (saw bench/table saw, wedge type jointer and 15" | thicknesser/planer of the following make(s) : Powermatic, Grizzly or | General International. <snip>
I bought a 20" Grizzly planer from Grizzly in the US. Afterwards, I was looking for some aftermarket knives and got off on a rabbit trail in Google and found no less than 10 planers with the same body castings from different manufacturers. The only differences were color, number of knives (3 or 4), a spiral cutterhead option, motor size from 3 to 5 hp, and maybe different switching. The rest looked identical. It's hard to convince me that these all didn't come from the same factory!
I had some minor problems with the Grizzly machine and plan to make more adjustments when shop work slows down, like removing the slop from the thickness adjustment crank, adjusting the feed rollers, and changing to a better grade of knives. All in all, it is a good machine that needs some tuning when you get it.
The only problem I found that I can't adjust out is that sometimes when a board is feeding in, there will be some lateral turning and the stock can override the side and mess you up. I clamped some thin wooden strips in the grooves on each side of the bed to prevent this, but I can no longer get much more then 19" in there. This is tolerable, since most of my panels are less than that.
my best, woodstuff

Have you checked the bed rollers? A high spot can cause that. Or perhaps some crud on the infeed or infeed tension.
| > The only problem I found that I can't adjust out is that sometimes when a | > board is feeding in, there will be some lateral turning and the stock can | > override the side and mess you up. I clamped some thin wooden strips in | > the grooves on each side of the bed to prevent this, but I can no longer get | > much more then 19" in there. This is tolerable, since most of my panels are | > less than that. | | Have you checked the bed rollers? A high spot can cause that. Or perhaps | some crud on the infeed or infeed tension.
yes, sir, did check the bed rollers and did it with some precision. Most of the time, everything runs straight, but there can be some movement, however slight, during the run. I have seen this on several good machines. When approaching the 20" limit, any turn can make it override.
I saw no crud buildup, but I haven't checked the "upstairs" yet because I haven't yet got the gauges that I want. This should happen soon.
thanks for the response, woodstuff