Where to buy hardwood in the Daytona area

Does anyone know where to buy hardwood in the Daytona Beach area?

Reply to
stiffs51

Try:

HTH Bill

Reply to
remove

I put "Woodfinder" to the test for my Florida location. I searched for both "Apple" and "Baltic" plywood using my Zip code. Zero results.........Very strange since I recently purchased plywood from two different dealers. Woodfinder needs some work !!!!

John

Reply to
John Eppley

Reply to
Knotbob

It sucks for CT, as well.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I'm in Ormond Beach, and right around the corner from me, right next to the Iron Horse Saloon on US1 just north of Nova Road is Southeastern Woods. I walked through there once, and he has some stuff that will be of interest although I wasn't ready to buy then. He closes at 3 or 3:30, so get there early. He's not on Woodfinder.

On State St, I think (one block west of US1), between Holy Hell and Ormond is M&M, although I was unimpressed with their stock. Also not on Woodfinder, I don't think.

There's an exotic dealer, primarily for turning stock, bowls and such, in Port Orange. I forget his name but it shows up on Woodfinder.com

The best close by one is Chipmunk in Edgewater. Also on Woodfinder for directions. You must go there at least once.

Woodcraft in Casselberry is only about a 40 mile trip. Drop SWMBO off at either Seminole Mall or Altamonte Mall and go visit, as they have some wood.

Only a few blocks away (and on the way) is an exotic wood dealer whose name I forget, but it's on Woodfinder. You must go there once, also.

There's a lumber dealer in Melbourne (T.A. Foley, I think) that shows up on Woodfinder, but I've never been there. If I'm going that far, I'll just go to Chipmunk.

On the state road that runs south out of Silver Springs there's a wood and machinery dealer whose name escapes me, but you're talking about a

60+ mile drive, now. I can't remember if they're on Woodfinder or not.

If you're not put off by that drive, the Woodcraft in Jacksonville is only 80 miles away. My daughter just moved there, so I'll be spending some time up that way, and I'll find all the wood dealers there are to be found there.

When I was selling some tools last year, one of the guys who came by has a Woodmizer not far away and he told me that there were at least two dozen small mills in the Volusia/Seminole/Lake/Putnam County area. Try calling Woodmizer for some names.

This should keep you busy.

Are you permanently in DAB or just visiting?

Reply to
LRod

I haven't tried searching for specific types, only generic, like "hardwood".

Once I have a list of dealers, I use good ol' Ma Bell to track down what I want.

Even if the listed suppliers don't carry what you need, they will sometimes point you to someone who does.

Bill

Reply to
remove

Personally, I have plenty of excellent local suppliers. None of them came from Woodfinder. Even when I search by zip alone, using a Hartford or New Haven zip, I get mostly folks who don't answer the phone or email listed, or well known places like Woodcraft stores.

By comparison, the "Woodshop News" classified section lists at least

20 high-quality prospects within an hour's drive of me, and a plain old Google search using "hardwood millwork CT" or hardwood plywood CT" grabs my favorite dealers on the first page.

I was simply commenting that Woodfinder is often recommended, but isn't all that hot of a resource, in my opinion.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y