Where to buy a 8'long 1"' wide Tape Measure

Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't need a 16' tape in the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.
Ted
Add pictures here
βœ–
You can check here, at Lee Valley. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/auswoodworker/detail?.dirx72&.dnm ή9d.jpg&.src=ph
The smallest they seem to have is a 10' x 1/2". Their 1" tapes (and almost anyone elses that I can remember) are all longer - usually 12' or 16'.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Perhaps you could go with a happy medium. 12' x 3/4"? There's a Lufkin with these dimensions.
http://www.measureandlevel.com/productDetail.asp_Q_catID_E_11_A_subCatID_E_4_A_productID_E_3_A_Lufkin_Pro_Series_Measuring_Tape_E_Lufkin_Pro_Series_Measuring_Tape
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I too have longed for a short tape with the wide blade, and have never come across one. I suspect it is an issue of making the case dimensions functional, where a properly-proportioned case that can accommodate a 1" blade can hold a much longer amount of tape, so they put it in there.
I currently use a tape with just such a compromise as mentioned here - 12' x 3/4", and it is reasonably satisfactory.
-Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

Seems to me that, if it's THAT important to have an 8' tape, then pulling it out to its extreme, cutting off the excess, punching holes in the 8' section to take care of the spring, then putting it all back together again would do the trick.
On the other hand, what's the harm of a little extra? Sooner or later you'll have a 9' or 10' board in the shop and you'll want to mark off something "just out of the reach" of the 8' tape. ;-)
Jim Stuyck -- the pragmatist
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:55:22 -0600, Jim Stuyck wrote:

The issue is physical dimensions of the case I believe--an 8 foot will fit in a smaller case than a 16.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Add pictures here
βœ–
J. Clarke wrote:

I don't know about that. It seem unlikely to me that a manufacturer would design two seperate cases for a 8' difference. Example: The Stanley FaxMax 16' thru 35' all appear to have the same case.
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE ΚTEGORY&CATEGORY=HT%5FTAPES%5FFATMAX
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I wouldn't be terribly sure about that- the spool that the tape winds around will have to be a certain minimum size to accommodate the wider tape (a wider tape usually has a more dramatic curve in it) Eight feet of wound tape isn't going to make much of a difference in the case size.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not sure the length because mine is hiding from me...
FastCap "FlatBack" Cabinetmaker's Tape http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-4024/FlatBack-Cabinetmakers-Tape
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
It's a 16' footer
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:53:16 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Add pictures here
βœ–
I saw these in a catalog the other evening...they don't have 8' but they do have a 12' but it is junked up with metric on one half.
http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=procarp
DAC

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks DAC, I emailed fastcap about them making a 8' x 1" tape and the answered back saying they will give the suggestion to the owner. Ted

βœ–