Where's Norm's TS spliter

At least the crotch area is covered.
Barry
RE: Splitter
IMHO, it is task specific.
Certain ripping jobs I do would be very difficult without it.
OTOH, it is kept out of the way most of the time because it can be a real PITA.
YMMV
Lew
I can only answer for my three kids and the hundreds at our school, where there is no splitter on the 50's Unisaw. Nope. But middle school shop classes don't use it.
The real answer is never let a kid use a tool unsupervised, until you're convinced they're capable. They convince you at length, not at a session. There are some who were never allowed use of the tablesaw, because they couldn't pass the first safety test, that of reaching beyond the blade without leaning.

splitter
any
high

NOT
one
I never saw Swingman's original response, so I'll tag on Tom's to address Swingman. That's just an absolutely foolish position and one that speaks to open mouth before engaging brain. It is in fact the blind reliance on what is purported to be a safety device rather than relying on proper safety. Your implied logic Swingman is likely what causes the near accidents that you credit the "safety" devices for having prevented becoming full fledged disasters. A little practical thought and you can completely avoid most of what you spread as fear-uncertainty-and doubt when it comes to proper and safe use of tools.
In short - when I allowed my kids to use the power tools it was only after they had worked for a long time with me in the shop. In the beginning they were just helping hold things or were just sort of around the shop. They began their indoctrination process by seeing the way things are safely done, coupled with a bit of explanation. As they showed interest in using tools they received a lot more instruction. They also received a lot of demonstrations, and a lot of help. Lo and behold in no time at all they were pretty well qualified to use my tools on their own at early ages. It didn't take a lot of time and effort to get them to this point and they actually understand the tools. That makes for a far more educated and qualified operator than one who relies on scare tactics.
Know your tools, not just marketing and newsgroup claims.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Man - that had a biting tone. Sorry about that - I really did not intend such a harsh sound.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

No offense taken ... I have a lot of respect for both yours and Tom's opinions and expertise.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

But do you or don't you use the spliiet on your TS?
FoggyTown

intend
My saws have neither a splitter nor a guard so the answer is no, I don't use a splitter. Not because I'm opposed to them, but because I began using tools like this at a time when nobody used splitters and guards were a complete joke. They were a joke because nobody manufactured one that was really workable. They were put on for some reason yet unknown by historians, woodworkers of the era, and anyone with a thinking mind, 'cause they certainly never worked. So - just about everyone threw them away immediately and working without those devices was just the norm.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Since you admittedly didn't read my original post, _you_ are the one speaking out of ignorance, with brain disengaged.

Without safety devices like splitters and blade guard? Answer the question ... do you insist that your children use such safety devices on the table saw?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Did anyone say rely on a safety devise, It saves your butt when you make a mistake "most of the time". Anyway, while your brain is the best safety devise, the safety devise on your tools are more reliable than depending on your brain all the time. We as human beings can become side tracked or loose attention. Safety devices regardless of how lame they may be do not loose track of what is going on.
If "you" think you may become reliant as a safety device to protect you from harm, there in lays the problem. How many sane people will repeatedly pull the trigger on a loaded hand gun aimed at their head with out fear of being harmed because they know that the gun has a safety? I think a 10 inch saw blade spinning a t 3800 rpm may have a similar effect of keeping the fear factor up.
wrote in message

address
speaks
on
It is what comes out here. Look how often you see phrases like "if you don't use a splitter you are a fool", or "surely you'll end up with stubs for fingers if you don't use the super deluxe gadget-device". The advocates of devices or death clearly see it as the ultimate safety device. My point is only that your own common sense and knowledge is the ultimate safety device, and that allowing yourself to feel that you're doing the right thing just by having that gadget in place is sheer folly. As I mentioned - you hear more complaints of accidents and near accidents from those with all of the gadgets than from those without them. There is a greater harm in simply accepting everything that is posted in a newsgroup or is marketed by a company and taking refuge in that than there is in what might otherwise seem to be a more dangerous approach that is guided by knowledge and practiced awareness.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Leon" wrote in message

on
Precisely .. Mike seems to imply that "knowledge and practiced awareness" will always protect you from harm. Yeah, right ... in the ADD generation and the ones who spawned it ... for sure.
My point all along has been that you can't rely on commodities that are demonstrably in such short supply these days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I'll give you a hearty AMEN on that one, Tawm.
And on most of the previous, as well.
Patriarch

And apparently Tom's brain is primary and perhaps his only safety devise. I wonder if Tom has ever made a mistake doing something that he has been doing for years? Have you ever been in a car wreck? Your brain should be a primary safety device but absolutely not the only one. I will also note that I DO NOT use a guard but do use a splitter. And yes I know that it will probably be my fault when I get hurt AGAIN. I am not foolish enough to think that it will be "if" I get hurt again, I know that it will likely happen again. It took me 1 year to realize how I was injured as I was not cutting wood when my accident happened on the TS.

doing
One of the things that I haven't seen mentioned is acknowledgement of the fact that brains and nervous systems and muscle reactions are subject to deterioration with age. The last people to acknowledge it and recognize it are those that are in their 50's or later (I'm there). I ran naked without a guard and splitter for a while. I liked the freedom and total view it gave me of what was happening. I liked having the crappy factory guard/splitter out of the way. I also noted that my number of "near misses" was going up. One day, my right hand involuntarily flinched while holding a push stick and tossed the push stick onto the top of the running table saw blade, while my son-in-law was watching. I felt like an idiot. It was time to acknowledge I needed some help, but quitting woodworking was not my answer. I may have gone overboard but I have not had any near misses since doing a few things - GripTite magnetic featherboards with steel fence, GRRrippers, and small splitter installed on every zero-tolerance insert. Funny thing - quality and consistency of my cuts went up - probably because I was working much more confidently and able to raise my skill level.
I'm not a seasoned pro. In fact I think being a pro is not a testament to a person's particular woodworking skill and knowledge, but more a testament to their ability to run a business and make a living with it. I'll leave it to the pros to argue this issue further.
Bob

Exactly, no one is perfect and exempt from making a tragic mistake. NO ONE.
Snip
GripTite magnetic featherboards with steel fence,
I tried that system about 4 years ago, I did not like the set up and especially did not like the steel fence. I do use the Bench Dog feather boards on occasion when ripping narrow pieces.

I use the green splitter in the zero clearance insert.

That and IMHO the splitter keeps the wood away from the blade if it bows at all during the cut resulting in a cleaner cut. If I purchase s4s I see little difference but it makes a great difference when using s3s.

Only if they've finished sweeping the chimneys from the insides. And Daisy the cow probably needs reaming again too. No playing with the hazardous tools until they've done their chores.
We're too soft on our kids. Prince Charles is right. Teach 'em some respect for the machinery.
Tom,
Another wonderful work of art. You do have a way with words.
It's funny, how often I find myself forgetting the little simple facts of life when in the shop ... such as:
Just HOW fast could a piece of wood kick back on me? ( Given your 10" /3450 RPM saw ... about 102 MPH)
Will it hurt? (Yes, anything and everything in its path)
Thanks for passing along some wonderful wisdom obtained by calculation and observation.
Regards,
Rick
wrote:

longer
and
also

Well, Rick, some of us can add to that base of knowledge through direct experience, without the math. Not that that's what I had in mind...
Some folks are visual learners. ;-)
Patriarch
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:42:09 GMT, patriarch

... in some cases more visceral than (just) visual :-)