Where's Home Depot

Wed, Jan 26, 2005, 6:44pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Bob) asks: Is this the same guy that complained a few months ago about someone looking for a place to buy wood in Houston in this conference? Surely looking for HD in Clayton in a global, galactic newsgroup is not the same thing. ;-)

Complain? No. Not being able to figure out why someone doesn't look in their local phone book, maybe.

The problem is not "finding" a HD, I know where a lot of them are, so I can make a point of avoiding them. The problem is, calling a particular one, and no one answering the phone there.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

JOAT responds:

Hell, Hardee's was first here. Then MacDonald's. First Big Mac went broke: it's now a dry cleaning store. We then got all the greats, a successful (there's a term for ya) MacDonald's--I don't know if that's Mc or Mac, and don't much care--then Burger King and Taco Bell and Long John Sliver's. Taco Bell faded out in four years. LJ's continues to do minor business. Or it's converted to Arby's I forget which.

In the meantime, we continue to hope for a second and third good restaurant so we don't have to fight the crowding at the one that exists. Oh,yeah. They did build a Wendy's, in the same shopping area as the LJ, Big Mac complex, and there is a Huddle House there now if you want 24 hour a day breakfast.

Easier to eat at home...and that from someone who absolutely loves a good restaurant.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

Thu, Jan 27, 2005, 9:48am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) says: that from someone who absolutely loves a good restaurant.

The key word there is "good". Finding one of those is the hard part. I like somethng along the lines of Golden Corral, with a large salad bar, with plenty of choices.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

With your prolific web searching abilities I am surprised you didn't go here(the website has a store finder feature). Maybe the number has been changed recently.

Frank Ketchum

When they saw who it was on their caller ID they probably decided not to answer... :)

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

McDonald's & Burger King are side-by-side in our town.

Joe

S> OT: McDonalds does the equivelant of several hundered thousands of

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Where I'm from:

20 miles to nearest Lowes 25 miles to HD Joe

Keith wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Thu, Jan 27, 2005, 4:35pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net (Frank=A0Ketchum) says: With your prolific web searching abilities I am surprised you didn't go here(the website has a store finder feature). Maybe the number has been changed recently.

I did. Same number as the other placed I checked.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Some clear plastic and duct tape will fix it till you get it repaired. Joe

J T wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

OK, 230 and 65...don't go there often... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

the lowes in garner is at 70 and 401. before you get that far maybe a mile or so before there is a HD on your left. its a fairly new one only a couple years there i think.

Reply to
skeezics

Thu, Jan 27, 2005, 8:29pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@home.com (skeezics) says: the lowes in garner is at 70 and 401. before you get that far maybe a mile or so before there is a HD on your left. its a fairly new one only a couple years there i think.

Yes, I'm aware of each. There's also a Lowes at 42 and 40, and one in Smithfield, on 301. No HD near either, as far as I know, not been to the 42 and 40 Lowes in awhile.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Well, got ahold of the HD in Garner today. Phone got answered by some type of machine, then took about 5 minutes for a "live" body to answer, but then I was just left hanging. Tried again, then a body answered the phone, but took about 5 minutes again to be transferred to the tools section. Then took them about 5 minutes to tell me no sander.

This only reinforces my decision that HD is not the place to shop. If I "have" to deal with the Borg, it'll be Lowes.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

HD--- 4 minutes. HD Port Huron-- 10 minutes Lowe's Port Huron---10 minutes Lee Valley London--- 55 minutes.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hear hear! I just never have been able to get into HD at all. They have a few things Lowe's doesn't, but the hassle of getting them makes it rarely worth the effort. I also hate the color orange, which doesn't improve my warm fuzzy feeling when I'm in there.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Ah, hell. Hot orange and badly laid out parking spaces. I've been in HDs in three states, and all the parking lots are laid out by a demented gerbil. The one in Parkersburg, WV is the absolute worst, but in Roanoke, with half the land in the western world to choose from, they managed to make entrance and exit a slalom game. Less than ideal with a well laden vehicle.

But colors? My first wife's favorite color is/was blue, which triggers problems in Lowe's, even after 20 years.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

Ideally. phone customers and in-store customers should get equal levels of service. If a choice has to be made, the customer in the store should get better levels of service versus a potential customer on the phone.

You'd probably be upset if you went to the store and all the help was talking on the phone. To be fair, every time I have called Home Depot around here, they have a live operator who answers promptly.

I used to work retail and juggling the phone and customers in the store was a real challenge. Customers in the store get upset if you stop to answer the phone and phone callers don't want to have the phone ring forever. I worked in a brand new computer store and our department had 4 employees. We should have had 10 employees for the first few months.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

The first Lowe's just opened here in Minneapolis. I went there the second day they were open. I didn't think it was anything special versus Home Depot.

Prices were higher than Menard's and Home Depot in general. The store was very clean, but so was every Home Depot on the second day.

I won't be back unless they have something nobody else sells. Lowes is 10 to 15 miles away and there are at least five Home Depots and as many Menard's closer to home.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert wrote: ...

Where I had access to both (E TN), the difference wasn't in was carried, it that Lowe's building material tended to be of much higher quality than HD's--particularly framing lumber.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 9:37am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net (Duane=A0Bozarth) says: Where I had access to both (E TN), the difference wasn't in was carried, it that Lowe's building material tended to be of much higher quality than HD's--particularly framing lumber.

Around here, it's also what is stocked. My well controller has gone out about 3 times in 20 years. Check HD, they have ONE model, about one in stock, which is not even close. Go to Lowes, they have about 6 models, several of each in stock. And, one is exactly what I need.

PLUS Lowes has clerks who can actually tell you (or take you to) where what you are looking for is. HD doesn't even come close on that.

No, Lowes isn't the greatest in the world, but so far it's topped all my HD experiences.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T