Where's Home Depot

Page 2 of 3
J T wrote:

Hear hear! I just never have been able to get into HD at all. They have a few things Lowe's doesn't, but the hassle of getting them makes it rarely worth the effort. I also hate the color orange, which doesn't improve my warm fuzzy feeling when I'm in there.
Silvan responds:

Ah, hell. Hot orange and badly laid out parking spaces. I've been in HDs in three states, and all the parking lots are laid out by a demented gerbil. The one in Parkersburg, WV is the absolute worst, but in Roanoke, with half the land in the western world to choose from, they managed to make entrance and exit a slalom game. Less than ideal with a well laden vehicle.
But colors? My first wife's favorite color is/was blue, which triggers problems in Lowe's, even after 20 years.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000

The first Lowe's just opened here in Minneapolis. I went there the second day they were open. I didn't think it was anything special versus Home Depot.
Prices were higher than Menard's and Home Depot in general. The store was very clean, but so was every Home Depot on the second day.
I won't be back unless they have something nobody else sells. Lowes is 10 to 15 miles away and there are at least five Home Depots and as many Menard's closer to home.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote: ...

Where I had access to both (E TN), the difference wasn't in <what> was carried, it that Lowe's building material tended to be of much higher quality than HD's--particularly framing lumber.
Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 9:37am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net (DuaneBozarth) says: Where I had access to both (E TN), the difference wasn't in <what> was carried, it that Lowe's building material tended to be of much higher quality than HD's--particularly framing lumber.
Around here, it's also what is stocked. My well controller has gone out about 3 times in 20 years. Check HD, they have ONE model, about one in stock, which is not even close. Go to Lowes, they have about 6 models, several of each in stock. And, one is exactly what I need.
PLUS Lowes has clerks who can actually tell you (or take you to) where what you are looking for is. HD doesn't even come close on that.
No, Lowes isn't the greatest in the world, but so far it's topped all my HD experiences.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
PLUS Lowes has clerks who can actually tell you (or take you to) where what you are looking for is. HD doesn't even come close on that.
No, Lowes isn't the greatest in the world, but so far it's topped all my HD experiences.
That varies from store to store. If I go tot he Worcester stores, HD has the edge. In the Manchester stores, Lowes does. At that location they are right across the street from each other.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3151.bay.webtv.net:
<snip>

My local hardware guy runs this kind of place. Smart folks, who pay attention. Good selection, with answers on what I really need. He's my first alternative, and not only because he's 4 blocks away.
Lowe's is 20 miles. Buying a washing machine from them was an interesting experience, but it beat the heck out of Sears.
Patriarch
snip

The guys in the yard at our Lowes usually couldn't find the washer we had bought so we were upgraded to the next larger for the same price. Huge tub, with only 2 of us, usually, to fill it. Joe
Wed, Feb 2, 2005, 1:05pm snipped-for-privacy@musc.edu (JoeGorman) claims: The guys in the yard at our Lowes usually couldn't find the washer we had bought so we were upgraded to the next larger for the same price. Huge tub, with only 2 of us, usually, to fill it. Joe
Must really be huge if more then two of you can fit in it. I think I'd prefer a hot tub.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
J T wrote:

Yeah, but the washer fit in the van. I'd have to get their rental truck, and some strong backs, to put in a hot tub:-) Joe
Thu, Feb 3, 2005, 9:00am snipped-for-privacy@musc.edu (JoeGorman) replies: Yeah, but the washer fit in the van. I'd have to get their rental truck, and some strong backs, to put in a hot tub:-) Joe
Damn you're cheap. LMAO
J T wrote:

Yep, the sales or mark down section is the first place I look, any store. And Goodwill is my primary non food shopping outlet. Joe
Wed, Feb 2, 2005, 10:41am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.dot.net (Patriarch) says: My local hardware guy runs this kind of place. Smart folks, who pay attention. Good selection, with answers on what I really need. He's my first alternative, and not only because he's 4 blocks away. Lowe's is 20 miles. <snip>
The local Ace Hardware is great, even the teenagers know where most of the stuff is, and if they don't they will find someone that does. That's always my first stop. But, they don't carry well controllers. It's about a mile. Got 3 Lowes about 8-9 miles each. One HD about 8 miles. Got the first well contoller because it was a Sunday, and no plumbing supply open. Now keep going there for them because they're reasonably close, have them, and are open on Sunday. It's rather surprising how many things go when everything else is closed. But, anytime I can, I shop in my home town first.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) writes:

Ideally. phone customers and in-store customers should get equal levels of service. If a choice has to be made, the customer in the store should get better levels of service versus a potential customer on the phone.
You'd probably be upset if you went to the store and all the help was talking on the phone. To be fair, every time I have called Home Depot around here, they have a live operator who answers promptly.
I used to work retail and juggling the phone and customers in the store was a real challenge. Customers in the store get upset if you stop to answer the phone and phone callers don't want to have the phone ring forever. I worked in a brand new computer store and our department had 4 employees. We should have had 10 employees for the first few months.
Brian Elfert
I think the spindle sander is discontinued. I tried to find it on line and it is not mentioned and the stores near me in Houston no longer have them.

It is still on the Ryobi site.
Leon wrote:

I usually hit their website to get store directions, hours, phone numbers...

Bummer... Shift Change?

"Use the 'net Luke!"
http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgidir.dll?PR 9&LATITUDE99548&LONGITUDE=-1051462&KW=home+Depot&ST=2&SD&LNKC:17&CID5&MEM=1&CU=home+Depot&T=Louisville&S=CO&QVA62566C58D6D41F2303203O01A443D05E21F041AF313203O07A48D9D7C21F041B2303203O03A42D3D7C21F04176313203
Drive that far? 10 miles? I drive that far just to get to the convinience store... Real stores are day trips!
-Keith
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:31:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Thu, Jan 27, 2005, 2:42am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@chance.net (Keith) exclaims: Drive that far? 10 miles? I drive that far just to get to the convinience store... Real stores are day trips!
In a later post I said my truck window won't close. It might be fairly warm, but I still don't feel like driving that far with my window down.
JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough. - Unknown
Some clear plastic and duct tape will fix it till you get it repaired. Joe