Where is best place to buy router bits

I seem to be buying more and more router bits for different projects and would like to know which ones are best. I have tried some from Rockler and have been happy so far. Thanks

Reply to
Keith

Million (figuratively speaking) places...probably the most widely available product out there....

is one. I personally am pretty partial to Whiteside for the combination of quality at a reasonable price. CMT gets good raves but I've not had any orange yet so can't comment specifically.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The good brands:

CMT Whiteside Amana Bosch Freud

I'll skip my short list of "bad" brands because one regular contributor thinks they are fine and I don't want to stir up a hornets nest.

ALL of the one's I listed are well regarded. I personally have all but the Whiteside. The brands I don't like are due to poor cut quality and/or excessive run-out.

Dave

Reply to
David

I would rank the Whiteside above the CMT, Freud, and Bosch. I haven't tried the others. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

I've heard from many that they are excellent. I guess where I shop they aren't available, but someday when I have a chance, I'll pick up a Whiteside bit.

Dave

Reply to
David

I have used WOODLINE for years. They have an excellent choice of router bits, use industrial quality carbide and know how to sharpen the bits. Sharpening is very important and many of the discount manufactors do a poor job. Suggect you read-up on what to look for when sharpening router bits. Woodline is normally available at woodworking shows and also mail- order. I am confident they have a web site so you could Google them. The bits are not CMT (which are top of the line in quality and price), but it would be difficult to find better bits at their normal prices.

Reply to
Buckwheat

Woodcraft has the bit of the month at 25% off on Whiteside bits.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You have good taste in router bits...I agree with all of them and would add Eagle. Whiteside is about as good as you can get (like Forrest table saw blades).

George

Reply to
george

Thanks. :) I get great results from my WWII. The only Freud blade I have is their double sided Melamine blade and that one is a champ too.

Dave

Reply to
David

I'd agree on a value basis--straight out irrespective of cost I'd probably opt for Amana from the above list...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'll second the Woodline. for the $$$, a nice selection, good customer service and bits arrive sharp and never pitted.

-------- Original Message -------- news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com

use industrial quality carbide and know how to sharpen the bits. > Sharpening is very important and many of the discount manufactors do a poor job. Suggect you read-up on what to look for when sharpening router > bits. Woodline is normally available at woodworking shows and also mail- order. I am confident they have a web site so you could Google them. The > bits are not CMT (which are top of the line in quality and price), but it would be difficult to find better bits at their normal prices.

Reply to
JJ

I usually prefer Whiteside and usually buy them from ballewtools.com

Reply to
Ba r r y

Do you, or anyone else, have an opinion on the router bits that Lee Valley sells?

Reply to
Rob Fargher

I've used a few of them. If I was ordering from LV and needed a bit, I'd not hesitate to buy it. I'm not sure they are as good as the top brands, but they are superior to the low end brands.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

that's one type of tool I haven't purchased from LV, Rob. If you ask me about their planes, I'd have an answer. :)

Dave

Reply to
David