Where for wood cut to size and shape?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and to the USA, I've checked the faqs but it's not in there: what's the best place in South California to get woodplanks cut to size and shape? I need to make my own desk, since I can't find anything that works for me, but I don't have a lot of powertools (just a drill). I can provide very precise cad drawings...

thank you!

Reply to
BlueD

BlueD wrote in news:eskpu8$i6r$1 @tdi.cu.mi.it:

Most lumber yards will do rough cutting for you. Note that this is usually really rough, off by as much as 1/4". You're actually better off finding a straight 2x4, getting a couple clamps and a circular saw. For about $100, you can get the tools to cut your wood to size.

You may want to look for cabinet makers or similar businesses and ask if they'd do it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

| Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and to the USA, I've checked the | faqs but it's not in there: what's the best place in South | California to get woodplanks cut to size and shape? I need to make | my own desk, since I can't find anything that works for me, but I | don't have a lot of powertools (just a drill). I can provide very | precise cad drawings...

Welcome to the group - and welcome to the USA.

I have good news and bad news...

The good news is that many lumber yards can cut standard size planks to lengths that you specify. There may be a cutting charge, but it probably won't be large. The bad news is that the person running the saw probably won't do the cutting with the degree of precision you'll be wanting.

An alternative might be to have the parts made for you at a cabinet shop - but you should be prepared to hear a price that could exceed the cost of the tools you'd need to do the job yourself.

Another alternative might be to inquire at work and in the neighborhood where you live for a hobbiest woodworker who might be induced to coach you through the process using the tools in his/her shop. Compensation is mandatory (even/especially if not requested!) but should work out to less than the cabinet shop price.

Where in Southern California are you, and what kind of woodworking experience do you have?

Morris Dovey

Where in SoCal, it is a big place?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Riverside

Reply to
BlueD

My grandfather was a professional woodworker and an antique furniture restorer in italy, I used to hang out in his lab a lot and give a hand so I'm familiar with tools and techniques, I'm kinda rusty since he died

6 years ago and haven't touched a tool since then, but I know the basics.

Thank you for the advices!

Reply to
BlueD

Try Reel Lumber in Riverside

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Welcome aboard.

In most large cities you'll find an "unfinished furniture" store of some kind. These typically are small storefront operations selling pine and plywood items such as bookcases, small desks and tables, etc. to apartment dwellers. The wood is generally intended to be painted or stained by the purchaser. If the stuff in the window appears well made then you can trust the guy to cut your parts precisely to the dimensions you require and he'll even assemble it for you.

J.

BlueD wrote:

Reply to
J.

If you are going to do the circular saw route, get a piece of alumimum from the homecenter as a straight edge. It will last longer and be more accurate. The odds of finding a 2 x 4 from a home center that stays straight more than a day is about the same as the odds of winning Lotto.

Reply to
bf