Where do all the dead table saws go??

Page 2 of 2
Nova wrote:

In your best Milwaukeese this would be pronounced, Da False.
Oh, and I only have one. Band saws, that's a whole nudder kettle a fish.
UA100, who did ship off the twin 30's vintage Delta 12" band saws to their new home in the Carolinas...
I always wondered that about corvettes. I mean, how often do you see a pre-1982 Corvette on the road anymore? They are made of fiberglass, so they aren't rusting away.
OTOH, I have never questioned the fact I haven't seen a Yugo since six months after the last one was built.
Joe
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

It was written somewhere/someplace and read by me at that time that there were over 600,000 Unisaws as of that moment in time. I seem to remember this all taking place tenish years ago.

I couldn't tell you but I can tell you the very first Unisaw is still in use today and looks almost as good as it did when it was sold in 1939.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

600,000 Unisaws! The odds could be in my favor! Imagine when you add Powermatics and other manufacturers to that list!?! How many other boneheads are like me, making their next hobby owwm's?? At least I found something constructive to do between project "orders" from Swmbo!
Any web space dedicated to that first one??
Be careful Mark and Kim Smith...you are poking around a secret society that would make "Eyes Wide Shut" look like a kids pajama party. I know for a fact that Unisaw owners have to swear to a secret oath upon delivery. If they don't agree, the Unisaw goes away and they get a Craftsman. They have a secret handshake and everything, kinda like Fred Flintstone's Water Buffalo Lodge (yak ak a dak...you can fill in the rest). I understand the initiation rites are not for the faint of heart.
Part of the oath is "succession planning"...if one of the members "achieves room temperature", the machines are secretly re-distributed amongst the membership. Hence they never hit the open market.
All that scared the hell out of me a few years ago and I bought the contractor's saw instead.

ROFL!!
BTW, she makes me put her name in my email addy. Something about I don't pay enough attention to her, I don't want to show her off or something like that. It made things quiet which is what matters most.
Good call on your part. No sense in burning a chit on something like that...you only get so many before the lawyer shows up so save them for important stuff like buying more tools.

that. It made things quiet which is what matters most.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Just this.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

an A001. You're awesome!! I think I'm going to have to hate you for a while! ; ) Should I dare make the finished project my desktop photo??
The company I work for covers an area of half the state of California. In the multitude of service centers we operate out of, I know of two locations that have big ol' table saws ( and I haven't been to half of these s/c's.) I don't remember the manufacturer's of these old machines, it's been about 10 years since I've seen them. Guess I'll have to visit and poke my head around when no one is looking! Follow the sawdust trail. Gotta love the hunt!!
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Actually no. My saw is A-100. The oldest and original four-footed Unisaws all came with a alpha-numeric serial number. Of the couple/few dozen four-footed Unisaws I'm aware of A-100 is the lowest alpha-numeric serial number. The rest are scattered up through the alphabet and the "newest" four-footer I know of was numbered L-404.
You could try and extrapolate a number of four-footed Unisaws produced in 1939 but there's no evidence that I've found that there were 999 saws for every letter between A and L. In fact, the sum of this equation would be monstrous to consider for a saw in it's first year and given the size of the plant in Milwaukee where the saw was built. The best evidence for a "true" number comes from an ad I have where Delta proclaims that it took three months to build 1000 Unisaws. Even that, given the size of the plant, is something of a stretch in my opinion. In other words, I don't trust hyperbole.
I have yet to find/be made aware of anything below A-100 so I'm holding bragging rights that this saw was the first.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, thanks and I appreciate that but I was only standing in the right place and the right spot and happened to find this saw though there is a heroic tale associated with "rescuing" it from the evil man who was selling it. In other words, we were but a heart beat from losing it to a "lesser" owner who might have done something really unspeakable to it, like cut the side open an load a 3 horse Baldor in it.
Do a search of El Guapo on Google if you like long stories.

That's understandable and by the way shows you have certain tendencies that are required in anyone searching out vintage machines. In other words, your jib is cut correctly. You will do well.

Funny you should mention that. I have it up on my 'puter.

You will find that the hunt is half the fun.
By the way, the first mantra of searching and finding vintage machines is, "you get back what you put in". The second mantra, "there is no such thing as buyer's remorse. There is though the remorse of not going to look and the one that got away".
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

The search of "El Guapo" has been read many times. Most recently, a few weeks ago. First time, a couple of years ago. A story to enjoy and inspire, over and over!

Hi U. I can call you U, for short, right? Have you ever physically compared these "lettered" saws to determine if the lettering was a result of early design changes? (Sort of like the "type" designation with the P-C biscuit joiners?)
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

U is good. I also answer to most any other capital letter.

I have done a thorough inspection of the saw with serial number A-100. I have not been able to compare it thoroughly against another four footed saw with a single Alpha-Three Digit serial number so the answer to the question I think you are asking is no.
On the other hand, based on your own study of the P-C plate joiners, I'll answer the question I think you might be asking?
I have compared the '39 saw against other (later saws) saws. As a matter of fact I was doing just this today with a '58. There are very subtle differences mechanically with the '39 and all other saws. Actually I think it's two but I'm having trouble tonight with fatigue so I'll have to think about it harder when I'm rested.
Does any of the above answer the question?
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Cool. I've been looking for someone to call or for awhile now.
Where have all the bench saws gone? long time passing Where have all the bench saws gone? long time ago Where have all the bench saws gone? Gone to crapsman every one.... when will they ever learn when will they ever learn
Where have all the crapsman gone? long time passing Where have all the crapsman gone? long time ago Where have all the crapsman gone? Gone to contractors every one when will they ever learn when will they ever learn
Where have all the contractors gone? long time passing Where have all the contractors gone? long time ago Where have all the contractors gone? Gone to unisaws every one when will they ever learn when will they ever learn
Where have all the unisaws gone? Long time passing. Where have all the unisaws gone? long time ago. Where have all the unisaws gone? Picked by restorers every one, when will they ever learn when will they ever learn.