Where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size, to be used for a desktop?

Hello All.

Well the subject line pretty much says it all- where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size?

What I am looking to do is cut down a sheet of Melamine to be used as desktop, that will be placed on top of two trestles. I want a specific size because I want the desktop to fill a specific area---it will go to the wall.

Anyway, since I don't work with tools for a living, nor have access to any--not to say I would even know the right way to do anything with them even if I did!

I just wanted to see what a "seasoned vet" would recommend I do.

Also, recommend how I could get a sheet from Home Depot cut down to a specific size. Also, would it be recommended that I glue a sheet of particle board to it so it's thick?

I'm sure this is simple and basic for someone who has the tools, and know how, but for noob what is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
6207865

Home Depot can cut it for you, but the problem is they do not guarantee accuracy. Best if you have a friend with tools, or find a local cabinet shop this would be trivial for them. Where are you located? Somebody here may be able to help and provide advice.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I could not recommend Melamine as a desk surface, at least if you are referring the the Melamine-coated particle board so popular in cheap cabinets. I had a heavy knock-down desk in my home office and it had a Melamine surface -- it proved to be entirely too fragile for the application. Have you considered a desktop with a high-pressure laminate (Formica) surface? A 1" to 1.5" plywood substrate would make for an excellent work surface.

Reply to
BenignBodger

I made a simple desk/sewing table for my wife in 2001. Still in great shape as good as the day I built it. I'd do it again. I don't see the need for 1 1/2" thick unless you are keeping your anvil collection on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Half inan adequate for a moderate sized desk - and 1 inch for larger desks.

Reply to
clare

From your message I think maybe this is the wrong question...

Big box stores like Home Depot are not noted for their fine saws and blades.... Melamine chips badly if you don't use an appropriate blade or a dull blade so I wouldn't assume you'd have a decent product coming out of them.

Maybe the correct question involves finding a cabinet shop that uses Melamine and laminates and have them provide the material and the cutting... Less nonsense for you and most likely a better job. Maybe a bit more money but they've got bills to pay!

You didn't mention how this top is to be supported... It may need a frame or some other structure (like a cabinet) under the desk top if it is more than a few feet wide as the Melamine by itself is likely to sag badly over time. Maybe another thing a cabinet shop could knock out...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Iaminthewesternsuburbsofchicago,DuPagecounty.Anyrecommendations

Reply to
6207865

I am in the western suburbs of Chicago- DuPage County area to be exact. Any recommendations?

Oh, and thanks so far for the help.

Reply to
6207865

First, make a plywood tabletop that's the right size and shape. The edges need to be smooth and will be visible in the final product. Then, laminate the Melamine (or, as others have suggested) Formica/Micarta (intended for heavy desktop/tabletop use) over the base. I'd use contact cement for this part. Then, using a router with a guided bit, trim the excess laminate to match the base.

The big-box stores can sell you a 4x4' chunk of 'butcherblock' solid wood, and can do some kind of cutdown at the store, but that'll be short of real furniture quality.

If you are trying to match a wall, it's useful to plan on a final bit of trim molding that can cover the inevitable crack (walls are rarely straight and meet at artists' interpretation of a 'right angle').

Reply to
whit3rd