where can I find this machine screw?

Page 1 of 2

I want a brass machine screw pan head or round head(prefer pan head) slotted 1/4-20 and the hard part 2.25" long. I can find 2" and 2.5" but I can only find stainless steel in the 2.25" length.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

How many do you need?
Can probably special order them if you are willing to buy 500/1,000 minimum and wait probably 6-8 weeks since the almost certainly come in for off shore.
Any thing from 50-499 could be trimed in a lathe or maybe a screw machine.
Anything below 50 would be hack saw time.
HTH
Lew

Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

I would use maybe 300 or so a year. forget hacksaw I use a steel shear (G) but just the hassle and time to cut them all and sand the ends and buff off the bur is something I could live without.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Steve Knight

I use an angle grinder. It's one of the few ways I have of cutting screws without needing to re-form the thread afterwards. If you're doing a lot, make up a cutting plate with a row of threaded holes in it. Choice of cutting disk is crucial though, for a neat cut.

you don't want to cut brass with a angle grinder. well maybe not it may just clog up the wheels. but I don't want to have to cut them to size it gets old quick after the first 100 or so (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:21:42 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight

Make a jig and let your SWMBO hacksaw and file 'em. ;)
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:13:58 -0800, Steve Knight wrote:

So don't. Put a nut on before cutting. After cutting run the nut off. There, the thread is back where it's supposed to be (or nearly enough to use).

That's what I'm thinking with a drilled/tapped block, it'll form the thread back into shape when you back the screws out of it. Steve, will the ends of these bolts be visible in your finished product? If there's a burr there, will that need to be cleaned up?
Dave

no you won't see them so as long as they thread in easily it does not matter what they look like.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Cut the 2.5" off at 2.25 or is this just spam?
Ray snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

He probably needs a *lot* of them. <G>
Steve isn't a spammer.
Barry

Spam.... ? Not in this case.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Ray snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If it were spam it would be offering to lengthen it.
www.fastenal.com
The following link is to the screw...
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku52076
Eddie

for some reason fastenal did not come up in google. I found them rigth befroe I read this message. man they are spendy stainless is only .21 each.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Are they really .82 EACH???

it's not a lot till you order say 100 then it's 82 bucks. I get boxes of 1" ones for about 21. each. a little over double the length and quad the price.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:16:07 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight

OUCH!

Call and ask for bulk pricing. It's ALWAYS a whole lot cheaper.
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

I can get 2.5" long ones for .40 each. stainless about .21 each 2.25" long
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes