Where can I find a Rail & Stile bit for undersized 1/4" Plywood?

I have seen many that you have to buy the conversion kit, but doesn't someone make one that you don't have to change the slot cutter?

Reply to
bdeditch

Pat Barber

Amana sells what you are looking for too.

Pat

The problem is that everyone who makes their "undersize" 1/4" set makes them to around 7/32". Maybe 1/4" plywood was made that size once upon a time, but all of the 1/4" ply available in the hardwood lumber stores near me have

1/4" ply that is more like 3/16" in size. It still rattles around in the "undersize" groove. I've considered filing the carbide of the groove cutter to more closely approximate actual 1/4" ply and removing the shims from the matching bit to match. It's either that or shimming the 1/4" panel in the slot.

todd

Reply to
todd

You are just unlucky I guess, I still get 7/32" plywood.

It still rattles around in the

You lost me here, how would filing something make it larger?

It's either that or shimming the 1/4" panel in the

If you use space balls the rattle will disappear although the gap will still be there. Or shim like you mentioned.

Reply to
Leon

I guess I am. I visited two establishments and measured what they have and called a third.

I would be filing the cutter that makes the groove the ply fits in. Of course when you do that, you have to be able to adjust the mating cutter to compensate so the rails and stiles still fit together properly.

I would use space balls. I would shim so the gap would be on the back side. I've also heard of folks using 3/8 ply and cutting the edges down to the appropriate size.

todd

Reply to
todd

Ok, are you saying you will file the slot cutter to make it cut a wider slot? I don't think that is possible. Or are you saying to file an actual

1/4" slot cutter doen to less than 7/32"?

If the expense is not significant that does work out nicely. It makes the panel look sorta raised on the back side also.

Reply to
Leon

Where do you get space balls?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Nova

Thanks!

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Amazon in the Mel Brooks section.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Why would I want the slot wider to fit a panel that is smaller? Here's the deal. The rail and stile cutters create a slot that is roughly 7/32". I'd like that slot to be smaller, since no 1/4" ply I find is that large. Therefore, I would need the cutter that creates that slot to be smaller.

For one run of cabinet doors, I doubt the cost difference is significant for me. Next problem...finding 3/8" maple ply. Local place stocks 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4"

todd

Reply to
todd

As I indicated, the plywood sold as 1/4" is available and is commonly found to be 7/32" thick.

You said, "I've considered filing the carbide of the groove cutter to more closely approximate actual 1/4" ply and removing the shims from the matching bit to match.. You said you had a cutter that made 7/32" groves. Filing a 7/32" cutter is not going to make it cut 1/4".

Actual 1/4" plywood would be actually be 1/4".

It was the way you worded the comment that threw me off. Now I understand that you meant plywood sold as 1/4" vs. actual 1/4" plywood.

Reply to
Leon

I did refer to "actual 1/4" ply". What I meant by "actual" is the dictionary definition "existing now; present; current", i.e. the stuff that is currently on the shelf, but I can see how it could be interpreted the way you did.

todd

Reply to
todd

Actual

  1. Existing and not merely potential or possible. See synonyms at real1.

  1. Being, existing, or acting at the present moment; current.

I took the first description. Either way, I am on track now. ;~)

Reply to
Leon