Where can I buy a canoe bit for a tabletop router? Also known as "ball and socket"....

I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was thinking tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it seems that they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber? I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found anything for 1-1/2" height?

Reply to
hdivr

You might check with Amana, they make these bits for Tambours, they might make larger ones.

Reply to
Leon

This is really a job for a shaper, not a router, and a healthy one at that. You can look at car siding, a standard mill shape, that may accomplish what you are after. I don't know about availability in cedar. A local mill shop may run the material for you.

Reply to
DanG

Look here

is what I used for my canoe ( the 5/16" version). These do not work well with a cheap router. The bead bit wobbled like crazy in my old crafstman. Worked fine with the dewault.

Rich

Reply to
Richk

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Upscale

You might want to look at the Lee Valley internal and external half-radius bullnose bits

and
They can go up to 1-1/4 inch and the radii are matched for each size.

Reply to
J. Clarke

See:

the link doesn't bring up the page search for:

655-701 - FLUTE AND BEAD SET
Reply to
Nova

The subject indicates "canoe bit". I'd sure hate to portage a canoe made out of 1.5" lumber.

Reply to
Nova

Maybe it's a war canoe.

Reply to