Where are these $30 chop saws???

Sometime recently there was a discussion of using a miter saw with an abrasive blade to cut metal, and many suggested using a chop saw instead (probably good advice), especially since reportedly you can get one at Horrible Fright or Home Depot for $30 - $40.

I checked around, and I can't find one ANYWHERE for less than $130 to $150. Am I missing something, or what? Where are all these "$40 chop saws"????

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

?dpt=&cat=&page=detail&sku=02311
?storeId=6970&productId=1038310&R=1038310Cheapest 14" I've seen is $40 on sale at HF IIRC. Latest store flyer, item #44829, $50.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

My HF store has them for $49.95. Of course you need the pack of wheels for $20. I have two and both work fine.

If you have occasional cuts of smallish stuff, the metal blades on circular saws will do it. WEAR GOGGLES and clamp the work firmly.

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

I had the HF cutoff saw, bought it on sale for $60, which I think is what it's on sale for at this very moment. It did a good job, especially for the money. I made hundreds of cuts in steel pipe and never changed the abrasive, and never burned out the motor (surprisingly). Admittedly, the abrasive was getting pretty small there. :-)

I don't think it has the sack to cut 4" solid steel as the instructions suggest though.

Reply to
Miki

sometimes, the word "cut" is relative... a better quality might cleanly cut what the HF one chews and grinds slowly.. but nobody (I hope) is going to buy a $60 chop saw and expect it to cut a bunch of 4" steel..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis