Where are the Grizzly vendors?

Why don't you consider visiting one of Grizzly's 3 show rooms? The shipping savings is worth a couple hundred mile drive. I always drive to the Springfield, Mo show room from Springfield, IL. I bought a lathe, GO444Z TS, and a 1024 dust collector. Every time I go to their show room I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Reply to
Will

I thought Shop Fox was Grizzly's vendor-distributed line.

I've seen them do promo deals on reduced shipping but I've never ever known Griz to ship anything for free.

Amazon's free shipping deals are for things sold BY Amazon, not THROUGH Amazon by a partnered vendor or whatever they call it. I've been caught by that little detail a couple times.

Sometime this summer I might take some time off and check out the nearest showroom. For me, that's Springfield, about... um. 575 miles or so. Let's see, by summer gas ought to be about 3.50 a gallon... Hm. Lemme think about this a while.

Reply to
else24

The other two showrooms are Bellingham, Washington and Muncy, Penn. Granted the showrooms are out of reach for many but we are close enough to Springfield to get there from time to time. (Springfield is about 1 hour north of Branson Mo.).

They do have sales but I have never seen them waive shipping. You will never see an Amazon Super Shipping offer becaust that feature is reserved for smaller, lighter items. Items like a lathe are shipped via truck - and in my experience they do it very quickly (less than two days to get my 1023s cabinet saw). If you can't get to a showroom here are a couple of alternatives:

1) I belive their customer service line will still provide names and phone numbers of up to two people who have purchased a similar item in your area. Customers do this on a voluntary basis and it might give you a chance to talk to an owner or even see the tool. I did this on my cabinet saw.

2) Look around for local tool suppliers that offer the Shop Fox line of tools. Essentially, Shop Fox is the commercial line of Grizzly (they won't say this out loud). Shop Fox equipment exhibits some suttle differences in paint, plaques and hardware but still very similar to Grizzly. It is also more expensive because the dealer is pickup up shipping, advertising, etc that Griz-direct does not charge.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I'm condiering a Grizzly purchase but finding very limited vendors. Amazon has the highest total cost, Grizzly direct next, then ebay. I've been outbid every time at ebay. I'm a "Prime" customer at Amazon, but they won't waive shipping costs on a $625 Grizzly purchase. Are there any other vendor choices? Does Grizzly ever have a "free shipping" promotional sale?

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Amazon has the Delta 36-717 (385 lbs) for $1,378 with free shipping. :-) Also, the Powermatic 1792000K (600 lbs) for $2,199 with free shipping.

I personally have only paid around $5 for shipping on any tool purchase from Amazon (my Hitachi miter saw), and I didn't pay anything for my air compressor to be shipped. In my opinion, you have to look long and hard and get lucky to beat Amazon's prices on most things, especially power tools.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Grizzly supports their low price point by selling mostly direct. The Amazom thing was just a business necessity and the small margin they have to pay Amazon is nothing like the discounts you have to give a Woodcraft or industrial tool vendor.

If you can visit their showroom you'll save the shipping, otherwise just buy direct and pay the cost.

FYI, they usually have a sampling of "sales" prices that run through the summer months.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

They don't but I do. I can offer that same tool, freight paid in the 48 contiguous states, no sales tax, for $1150. Just send me your check and the order.

Grizzly would not be Grizzly if they sold through other outlets and added enough markup to offer free shipping.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Amazon does have "free" shipping (from time to time) for some of their largest tools (my ol Delta lathe was free)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Correct, although the company (Shop Fox) is technically a separately held firm

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Have you detected a pattern in when Amazon turns the free shipping offer on and off? I've been looking at a Palmgren drill press. It's at a good price right now, but I think the last time I saw it at this price, it was offered with free shipping too, unlike now.

TIA PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

Even more agitating is that I'm a "Prime Amazon" customer which provides free 2-day delivery for some of Amazon's items. For third-party sales, such as Grizzly, the free shipping does not apply. There are very few Grizzly vendors which could make another brand more favorable and available. Since this is nearing an end to the woodworking buying season, I'd expect better deals during spring and early summer.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Whoops! I stand corrected. I had never seen Super Shipper Savings on bigger items. Still doubt if you'll see big savings for Griz items though. I'm guessing they keep volume up by keeping close to margin on their machine tools.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Items that qualify for free shipping are the ones sold by Amazon. Grizzly is an Amazon partner and its items are sold by Griz through Amazon, so those items don't qualify.

Reply to
else24