Whence?

news.motzarella.org
This is a free sever that I have used since comcast stopped providing newsgroups.
Regards,
In

Concerning "news.motzarella.org" please not the following:
Dear users of Motzarella.org,
for technical reasons the Motzarella reader servers
news.motzarella.org, nntp.motzarella.org, reader.motzarella.org, reader80.motzarella.org and reader443.motzarella.org
will will be replaced by the following servers:
news.eternal-september.org reader80.eternal-september.org and reader443.eternal-september.org
on July 1, 2009.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybody is moving.
One might be lead to wonder "What's up???"
P D Q
"Colin B." wrote:

Based on your explanition, it would appear to be only a matter of time before ALL ISPs drop UseNet.
As someone who is in the business, what do you suggest as the best solution?
Lew

There likely will always be companies that will specialize in it and charge accordingly. For most ISPs, Usenet was a bonus add on and not their main focus, that's why they're dumping it now. Dropping Usenet is the equivalent of a rate increase. They don't have to pay for the feeds anymore, but they're not lowering monthly rates. That's a rate increase in my books. More profit for them in times of increasing competition.
I've got a separate subscription to Agent Premium News unlimited. For the equivalent of about $18 CA a month, the subjects and files I want are available, retention time is excellent and download speeds are exceptional. Some might see $18 a month as excessive, but for me, it's a matter of convenience, not a necessity ~ a self indulgence of you will. I don't see it too much different than the woodworking I do. It's something I like, so I'm willing to spend the time and money on it. Isn't that part of life?

something line five years ago when my (then) ISP was having problems. For 10EUR (about $13) a year its cheap enough and the customer service is great. The only downside is that they don't carry any binary groups.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

$13 a year is not expensive except you are paying for something that is free. If you want binaries, you can pay, but if you just want the text part of usenet, eternal-september.org is perfect, totally free, and works exactly the same as giganews without the binaries. Motzarella now is Eternal-september.org. See tag below.
--
Jack

ISPs have been dropping Usenet support for at least a decade.
One way is outsourcing it. In that case, their customers still have the service, so largely no one cares (aside from the ISP's IT department). (My "AT&T" servers identified themselves as being Prodigy.)
Others just drop it. Some outsource and then drop it later.
Binaries ruined Usenet from the provider's end. Even with cheap connections, hardware/power/facilities for hosting that volume is a bear. That's especially true when most of the customer base doesn't know or care about anything other than websites.
I'm surprised that any ISPs still have news servers. I would guess that none in the US will have them by the end of the current economic troubles.
BTW, I'm using "ISP" as I am accustomed to -- a service provider with "last mile" service (DSL, cablemodem, dialup, satellite). There are lots of other Service Providers on the Internet, but I don't call them ISPs.
--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
| And say it's dangerous to try
PDQ wrote:

Nobody is moving, just a name change.

Seems Motzarella was having a name conflict with someone, so, Motzarella changed their name to Eternal-September, an OLD reference to what happened when AOL hooked up to Usenet, thus insuring Usenet would be "plagued" with a never ending influx of newbees, instead of just in September, when a new crop of freshmen students invalided usenet with bad netiquitte.
At any rate, Eternal-September.org provides FREE and solid access to anyone that wishes to participate in usenet, but no binaries.
--
Jack
Confessing my ignorance... but will this effect me?

Access to binary newsgroups (e.g., ABPW) as well as the up opportunity to use a newsreader program rather than a browser interface.
Personally, I really don't like browser interfaces to newsgroups (or forums for that matter).
YMWV.
-Steve

No. I use Google Groups as well, and they have weathered all the different storms that have come over the newsgroups of the internet.
It works great for me and has for many years, ever since they purchased the archives and set up access after DejaVue went away.
I don't get spam, don't get any kind of malware or virus problems from using the service. It's free to all, and has the best part of the usenet built right into the interface: the ability to search the archives. That's where the gold is mined.
It doesn't get binaries, but since most folks use free posting sites these days, it hasn't bothered me at all.
Interestingly, from another ng this has come up (as it has here) from time to time. Those that have switched to Google Groups to read this have found it be be more reliable with faster posting and retrieval time than paid services.
And of course, they were astonished to see the retainage times of posts on old dinosaur groups such as this one. I found a post not too long ago when looking for something that was uploaded in 1997!
Robert