Whence?

Page 1 of 2
I just got a notice that AT&T is going to drop their USENET server on the 15th of July. Where can one go to get connected back to this group after AT&T closes their server?
Thanks
Deb

Check out astraweb. Biggest bang for your buck for newsgroup service. Pay a few bucks upfront and you will have service for years. I have been using it for awhile now and it works just fine. I like the fact that you just pay for what you use. No monthly fees.
http://www.astraweb.com /

I use these guys: http://usenet-news.net /
The have a similar price structure (pay per GB of content downloaded) I paid $10 about a year ago.... when that runs out I'll give them another $10.
I tried teranews.... Fine for reading, but useless for posting. Posts cosistently took days to show up.
-Steve

I'll second those comments. I've been using Astraweb since Read Free News went away. (There was a short stint with Wildblue, but they took away their NNTP service soon.)
I sent them $25 some time ago, and have probably used about 1/20th of the download limit I paid for. At this rate, I'll be able to read the Cheeseburger thread until Godwin's law is invoked.
Puckdroppper

I've been using Forte's service ("APN") and their reader ("Agent") for years and I'm quite happy. Service starts at $2.95/month.
Usual disclaimers apply.
I used AT&T's service beforethat. Forte's is light-years beyond!
-Zz

Some folks do not need another bill. There are plenty of Internet woodworking forums, similar to newsgroups that many users/woodworkers will migrate. I have enjoyed newsgroups over the years. "The end is near for Usenet."
Phisherman wrote:

Let's hope not. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism that even comes close for global sharing of current research.
AT&T (and the other corner-cutters) are cutting the US off from the rest of the world - who have a lot more to contribute than discussions of cheeseburger formulations...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Phisherman wrote:

Or, they could sign up Motzerella, now Eternal-september.org and continue to participate in usenet, free, other than binaries...
--
Jack

:eternal-september: is a fine joke. Would have been a good name for AOL in the day....
scott
I will switch to TeraNews. You can get a reasonable download limit for a one-time fee of less than $5.
Dr. Deb wrote:

Deb, Where did you get a notice? Did you get a letter via the post office? I called AT&T and the technician stated that new Usenet servers are being installed and that there are no plans to discontinue Usenet. Of course, AT&T is a huge corporation where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

rec.crafts.woodturning. Called AT&T and was told they were going off on about July 15

I got an e-mail from AT&T a couple days ago re: discontinued Usenet. Very blunt. No reason, just "We're gonna' quit on or about July 15. Please don't reply to this e-mail."
-Zz

I did not get an email from AT&T about Usenet closing, at least not yet. I would think all AT&T users would be notified.

Just to make sure you understand. Usenet is not closing. AT&T is not going to provide access to it any more.

And AT&T did not (that I know of) send any *email* about it. They made a Usenet posting to their own servers.
--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
| 18 half-lives
I did!
Important Updates to Your AT&T Internet Service
Dear AT&T Internet Service Member:
Our records indicate that you have accessed our Usenet newsgroup feature in the past 90 days. We are writing to inform you that this feature will be available through July 15. On or around July 15, 2009 we will no longer provide access to the Usenet service. If you wish to continue accessing Usenet newsgroups, please be aware that many Usenet services are available for a subscription fee.
Sincerely,
Your AT&T Internet Service Customer Care Team
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA E-MAIL This address is automated, unattended, and cannot help with questions or requests.
Drew Lawson wrote:

<corrected top posting so the discussion would make sense read from top to bottom>
Jim in Milwaukee wrote:

I got the same email, about a week after they made the Usenet posting to their own servers.
--
If it ain't perfect, improve it...
But don't break it while you're fixin' it!
Drew Lawson wrote:

hence propagated to other news servers. Posting to private groups only available to their customers, or an email to their customers would have been a better form of communication.
--
Froz...

When consolidated killed Usenet - Tech Support had no idea! They were trying to find out what the hell was going on on their end as well.
Because some post movies - and some are owned - all of this is lost!
RIAA threatened to sue and IT said websites and the new way is the way to comm. They don't know what they talk about and think all is in cell phones and gui in a web page.
Martin