When You Start Out As A Carpenter...

Page 2 of 3

jo4hn wrote:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p 0216490&r!85&g6

Ka Papa Kuhikuhi.
Now, cut that out!

I've gotta agree with Tom- that's not a jobsite carpentry tool. If you want to do that, that's what the combination square and the pencil are for.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:24:48 -0500, Prometheus

Whaddayaneed the square for? Just lay your pencil at an angle at the right spot, with your middle finger on the edge of the board, and slide it along. :-)
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
[snip]

WTF??? Somebody finally post your bail?

Nah ... the ice finally broke up for the Sprin errr Summer.

Nah, summer finally made it to the Northern Tundra and he is just getting defrosted. Unfortunately, the week of summer is almost over and he's headed back to the icebox soon. ;-)
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:28:41 -0700, Mark & Juanita

How may times do I have to tell you it's TAIGA not tundra! We have trees! OK, we had a frost two nights ago, but it only went down to 6 degrees Celsius last night.
Actually, the reason I haven't been wrecking off (tmSM) is that I've gotten addicted to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org). Some of us have started a project to clean up the wooddorking articles. Come and check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking, and help out if you want to show off your wwing knowledge.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
<snip>

That looks to be at least as large a project as cleaning up your decades- in-the-making scrap pile...
I've bookmarked it at least, for now. Not certain what I am qualified to add.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote: [snip]

Ooooooo. Like c-less' bow sawr?     anon
... snip

Wow, that *is* a large project. I've bookmarked it, will see how time in the future works out.

A marking gauge. That's a joiner's tool, not a carpenter's.
IMHO, joinery takes place in woirkshops, with workbenches and planes. Carpentry is the stuff you do on-site, without a bench and without truing stock up beforehand.
The carpentry I do is timber framing (big hairy-assed stuff). That involves cutting lots of mortices. Now a joiner might well use a marking gauge to lay out a mortice, but a timber framer never should (although many do). You can't trust that your timber is straight or square, so instead you mark a datum line down the centre of the beam with your chalk line (or I prefer an ink line) and then you mark off from that with a square, rather than a marking gauge from an edge.
Using valid joinery techniques in conditions that don't allow them (unprepared stock) is a common sign of the bad and ignorant carpenter.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

<snip>
A well put mouthfull ... amply illustrated by my efforts in the past, and once again yesterday, to do what I consider "carpentry", the results of which somehow always falls way below my original expectations.
The prospective purchaser with a contract on a new home I just finished wanted some shelves in the garage as part of the contract. Since there was some leftover pine shelving material still on site, since I would rather be busy with something than not, holiday weekend or no, and since it needed to be done ASAP, I thought I'd get a jump on the situation and built the shelving myself yesterday morning.
Although much of the saving in labor costs will go in my pocket, I will once again Endeavour to keep in mind that I need to stick to cabinets and furniture. Either that, or learn to go into the rapid-fire-nailgun, slap-it up-quickly-then-head-to-the-cantina mode that suffices for "carpentry" around these parts.
Not to mention the tendency toward "Babbage's Disease", that inflicts a furniture/cabinet maker who attempts "carpentry".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

The "Difference" is in the "Engine" that appears to drive the project.
Neither enjoys "The Luxury Of Perfection" if time is an issue - and when is it ever not?
I started as a carpenter and went towards cabinetmaking from there. The "Difference" is a matter of degree, or tolerances - but the "Engine" is the same, so long as it is described within the approriate tolerances.
Like me, you are an OTD (Older Than Dirt) to the current crop, and our standards are informed by both history and practicality. These Standards, the "Engine" that drives the project to its final result, must be adjusted to the tolerances needed for the task at hand.
You've been building stuff long enough to know what a set of shelves for a garage should look like - you just gotta let yourself relax and not try to gild that lily too much.
I know it's hard but remember the good counsel of generations of master builders who have gone before, "We ain't building a Church today - let's move it along."
watson - who still suffers from intermittent bouts of Babbage's Disease but finds that a decent glass at the end of the day moderates the post partum depression that inevitably accompanies a project that ain't exactly butched - but ain't no hall of famer, neither.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

yep... hear that? That's the sound of a nail, hit dead center. lol

Now that you mention it, the sun's over the yardarm here, I'm headed for the showers ...
... you definitely have a way with words and wood, brother.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Well apart from the Atlantic being in the way, I'm almost on your doorstep 8-) I'm in Bristol, SW England.

Smarta--, <G>
I was in hopes of finding a craftsman (careful wording, there) to build my home. And in print, accents don't generally remind me who comes from where. Bet y'all couldn't tell I wuz Southern, Huh? <GD&R> Tom

The more colourful language usually does.
And there's this too:

I usually peruse the Wreck in the wee hours... before the first cup of coffee has time to do its wonders... so little things get by sometimes Andy. I really do like the concept of the timber framed house, have you seen the examples of "scarfed" joints on A.B.P.W.? Kind of reminds me of The Japanese style joinery... verrrry precise cutting required to get a tight, strong joint! Tom