When the "heirloom piece" line is crossed.

Page 2 of 2

[...]
... or a mispelled weaving tool owned by a woman

That's pretty oblique, Doc.
Funny... but oblique.
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:25:49 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
Oh, the irony...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

As a practical matter, for something to be handed down between generations it must both survive multiple generations and appeal to multiple generations.
Therefore, by corrolary, an heirloom but be of high quality, and have aesthetic appeal which is able to transcend periodic trends. To me that generally means classic design elements.
To the OP, I often leave a little wane on the underside of a tabelop glue-up. It doesn't bother me and I doubt that it will be a consideration for my ancestors.
-Steve

It may only have a practical usefulness or simply sentimental value.
Leon wrote:

Yes, in terms of quality it merely needs to be durable to survive, or even if it is not, the family just needs to take care of it.
A friend has a keeping box that has been in his family for more than a century. It is quite crude, but it is also a family heirloom.
--

FF

Many people are mistaking the definition of heirloom as something that possessed quality or beauty, which it may or may not be.
"Leon" wrote in message

And over time the original meaning of "heirloom" has been subverted.
Under early English law (and it still may be so), an estate was generally handed down to the oldest son, was considered "entailed" by this custom, and items in that estate (heirlooms) stayed with the estate from generation to generation and could not generally be bequeathed away separately.
Tools (looms) were entailed to the estate, so for wooddorkers of early days it paid to be the eldest son, otherwise, under law, that vintage Unisaw went to your older brother and you were SOL.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:58:29 -0800, foggytown wrote:

Actually, only time can accurately determine what is an heirloom and what is dumpster fodder. But I like to think that pieces that are built sturdily enough to withstand the ravages of much use or pieces so attractive that others will desire to maintain them over time qualify for the term when new. That is, if the piece was built with the intention that it become an heirloom, then it may be referred to as one when new.
Jes' my two cents worth ... all goods worth price charged.
Bill

So, :~) Because that newly built piece that you are talking about can be called a heirloom before it actually qualifies as being an heirloom by definition, it can equally as well be called an antique because it is intended to become an antique. Does that sound right? ;~)
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 02:40:29 +0000, Leon wrote:

I dunno ... I just get toitally different vibes off "heirloom quality" than I do off "antique quality".
How about you? Bill

Well more accurately put so to speak, we hope the piece will one day become an heirloom and an antique.
Antique in training. :)
can equally as well >

Good selling shtick!

Whats wrong with Poplar? I built a complete bedroom set out of soid cherry and all the interior dust frames and drawer sides were poplar. My kids will be fighting over it. It looks great if you join, sand, and seal as if you were going to see it all the time. In fact, I like the contrast between the cherry and the poplar at the dovetails when I open the drawers.
Frank
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:47:40 -0600, Frank Boettcher
[snip]

Me too.

What are you doing in Frank's bedroom when he's opening his drawers?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net