When renovating.. be careful

Page 1 of 2
http://tinyurl.com/637xmt

I forgot to pose the question: "What would YOU do if you found that kinda loot during a project?"
Be honest now.....

Buy a drink . . . . . . . . . . . . In Antigua.

Ha! *smirk*

Seems to me the contractor had no more claim to any of it than he would have had uncovering a stash hidden by the current owner. I can't see the heirs having a claim either. For one thing, the money was part of the house when it was sold, and for another, surely there must be a statue of limitations on returning lost property.
Obviously, the lawyers disagree.

That's how I feel about it. Anything a contractor finds in the house belongs to the home owner. Just because it's hidden in a wall doesn't mean it's up for grabs.
The story mentioned the lady was going to declare bankruptcy, or at least testified to that in court? What's she doing remodeling anyway?
Puckdropper

Richard Evans wrote:

Lawyers will disagree to your last dollar...
"David G. Nagel" wrote

LOL ... so pithy that I'm gonna be forced to violate your copyright on that one liner!
So sue me! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

They always seem to come up with a settlement about the time you're out of money. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Robatoy wrote:

Interesting.
"contractor Bob Kitts, who couldn't agree on how to split the money with homeowner..."
Ummm, how about 0:100 for the homeowner. Wow, what made this guy think he had any right to any of it?
If I'm taking out a vanity and find a diamond ring that fell behind it, what it the world would make me think I had any right to keep it?
Does this guy go through the couch cushions, too? :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 03:30:21 +0000, MIKE- wrote

In English law, the difference is that in one case it's "lost" and in the other, "hidden."
"Lost" is obviously the home-owners property. No argument.
Hidden stuff by parties deceased is "treasure trove" and is automatically property of the Crown. In practice, the finder usually gets a reward, which may even amount to the full value, but that is discretionary and by no means certain.

This was in Cleveland, OH, USA, not England.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

But whose laws are derived mainly from English Common Law ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Um.... yeah, ok.
"Officer, they drive on the left side of the road in England and since our laws are derived from English Common Law... hey, do we really need handcuffs here?"
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 06:51:29 +0000, MIKE- wrote

I know, but I was merely pointing out that moral responsibility, common sense and the legal position are not always congruent. Sometimes what would seem "obvious" and "correct" from a philosophical perspective, is downright wrong when ground down and reassembled by The Law. Were it not so, we would need no lawyers and ultimately no Law - just non-prejudicial contemplation
In other cases, the judicial process makes analysis of arguable issues easier - but only within the bounds of the construct. It has no "absolute" value. If it had, the law in Cleveland, OH would be the same as in Manchester, England and Baghdad Iraq. That's a whole new can of worms - the argument for an absolute truth derived from whatever source is probably THE biggest issue in the world today and for the forseeable future. I don't think we, as a rec. group can afford to go there, particularly when we have piles of wet sawdust to find a use for.. and hanging prepositions about which to get pedantic.
Take the money..open the box.. take the money.. open the box...
You ARE the choices you make.
Peace 'n' Hugs.
Bored Borg wrote:

Yes, those paragraphs and my reply require a cup of coffee and some face time. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Bored Borg wrote:
... snip

Hmm, seems if I found something like that in that case, I'd be inclined to leave it "lost". Just plaster it back up and let subsequent generations, perhaps a bit more enlightened find it.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 01:33:34 +0000, Robatoy wrote (in article

well, last time I burned it.
"Robatoy" wrote:

kinda loot during a project?"

Finders keepers.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote

On closing day, after the fact, I once found 30 old silver dollars , boxed and tucked away under the kitchen sink of a house I'd just purchased in the Heights area of Houston. I immediately returned them to the seller that afternoon. The only thing I gained from that experience was the satisfaction of seeing the smile on the lady's face because she'd gotten her deceased husband's "coin collection" back, and the knowledge that I can't be bought for a mere $30 + appreciation ... however, add a goodly number more zeros and that might change ... maybe. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08