When mahogany just isn't expensive enough

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2355.html
Woodshavings, $5 / oz. (for campfire lighting)
It's not a bad idea though. My flint and steel pouch contains a mixture of resinous larch shavings and tumble drier cotton lint.
Andy Dingley wrote:

wax paper dixie cups half filled with planer shavings drizzled with parrafin wax does the same thing...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Mebbe so, but it doesn't come in a nifty Altoids tin. ;)

Can you really light those with a flint and steel?
I always used a rolled up newspapers tied off and cut at 3" and dipped in parafin wax. I use them to teach kids that it *is* possible to start a fire in the rain.
jc

Gulf Lite charcoal lighting fluid works for me.
When I was in Boy Scouts if the wood was wet or it was raining hard a sacrifical Sterno at the base of the pile really helped get the campfire going so we could make our usual camping dinner of hot dogs and instant chocolate pudding. ;-)
-- Mark
Andy,
Try making some char cloth out of Monk's Cloth. You'll never mess with the dryer lint again. It will burn you if you try to put it out with your fingers unless your callus is about a quarter inch thick.
Regards, Roy