when is it too cold to work?

Page 1 of 4
Greetings All...
It seems that winter is really starting to set in, and since my shop space ( read that as " about 2/3 of a single car garage") is unheated except for a small space heater I turn on when I am actually in the shop, I was wondering how cold is to cold, will the glue set up right in cooler temps, should I bring a glue up indoors to cure? ( I would think the temperature and humidity swings would do more harm than good ) and would the same apply to finishing a project, will the finish dry right, should I bring it inside to dry....how cold is too cold?....
Thanks for the help...
DCH
BTW check out my site at: http://dchaynie.home.mindspring.com
DCH wrote:

The instruction on your glue bottle should give you some good clues on suitable temperatures.
"DCH" writes:

I left the MidWest and came to Southern California to get away from winter weather.
At that time, I considered anything below 50F to be unfit for human habitation.
Since then, I have upgraded that number to 60F which is why I will leave California when the boat is finished.
Seriously, consider anything below 60F as unacceptable for painting, glue-ups, etc.
Those chemical processes above like warmer weather.
HTH
--
Lew

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 02:53:58 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Bringing the boat to Arizona ? ;-)
-Doug
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 03:00:53 GMT, Doug Winterburn

Can it handle the waves at Big Surf in Tempe? (Is that still there? I was in Phoenix last in '73.)
----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels-- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ================================================================
Doug Winterburn writes:

Naw, gotta leave someplace for the stink boats and the jet skis.
Better your neighborhood than mine<G>.
--
Lew

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 05:35:51 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup, it's called the "Tempe Town Lake" - a couple of inflatable dams across the raging Salt River with actual water in between.
-Doug
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:39:35 GMT, Doug Winterburn

When I was there in '74, I made 3 months' rent by helping the landlord remove the water-damaged carpeting from the lower level of the apartments I lived in. The powers that be in Phoenix decided that they wouldn't release any of their precious stored water and we got about 6" that week. Indian School Road was 3-4' deep on the south side and we got a foot of water in the lower apartment buildings. Lots of fun for a sailor...or a duck.
----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels-- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ================================================================
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:43:01 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

That's almost the average annual of 7"! The last (substantial) rain I saw here was in the winter of '92/'93 when the Salt and Gila not only had water in them, but were overflowing their banks. No water in either of them since :-(
-Doug
When the snow starts building up against the door to the shop so you can't open it or the fire in the woodstove freezes... Then its too cold to work out in the shop.

shop
unheated
the shop,

in cooler

the
and would

right, should

scribbled

I just came up from the gara^H^H^H^Hshop to check out the wreck as I just finished cutting a bunch of mortises. I did manage to screw one up, arghh! It's a pretty warm -15 degrees (5 degrees Fahrenheit, Keith) outside right now. I disagree with solarman, and I know about cold. I live in North America's coldest area - the Yukon - and I can testify that woodstove fires do not freeze. Also, if you can't get in the shop, just shovel the snow off. Sheesh! :-)
So, it's never too cold to work in the shop. My shop is only partially insulated. I use a bathroom fan and some 4" ducting to blow warm air into the shop from the furnace room, which gets too hot anyway. That keeps the shop above a toasty 0 degrees (32 Fahrenheit, Keith). When it gets really cold (like 30-40 below zero), or if I want things heated up in a hurry, I use a propane radiant heater that attaches directly to a tank. The rest of time, I use one or two small electric ceramic heaters. My insulated coveralls and felt-lined hunting boots are nice. My hands don't usually get cold, so I don't wear gloves.
For glue-ups, I've used three different strategies, as the instruction on the bottles require temperatures above 15 degrees (59 Fahrenheit, Keith): 1. Bring them inside the house. 2. Remove the clamps after an hour or so and bring inside the house. 3. Leave them on the bench, put an electric heater under the bench. The heater is plugged into an extension cord to which I have connected an electric heating thermostat. The thermostat hangs below the bench, away from the heater. Cover the whole thing with a tarp & go to bed.
#3 is also used for finishes.
Glues and finishes stay inside the house when not in use.
solarman wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. I always get it confused and think it's when you can't FIND the shop it's time to quit.
Nova wrote:

I'll bet. How many feet do you have on the ground now? Four? Five? :)
Silvan wrote:

Actually none. We've only had a couple of dusting so far this year.

:)
So far we have 6" with another 12 to come. I just shoveled a path to the shop and stated the heater. I'll go out there in a half hour or so and it will be comfy. Christmas gifts to work on today.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Mike does the heater raise the humidity in your shop?
dave
Mike in Mystic wrote:

it's
do
minutes.
After your shop cleanup you inspired me to insulate my shop. It is over half done and makes a difference. It got comfy and I had to turn the heat off before I came in for lunch.
I shoveled a path to the side door. My neighbor across the street bought a new snowblower. He was just out playing with his toy and did my driveway also. He missed a spot so I may have to call and complain; unless he finishes the job tomorrow.
I found a couple more square feet of space on my workbench by cleaning it up, planed some boards and cut out some parts for a couple of projects I'm working on for Christmas gift. One is a maple tray, the other a high chair for granddaughter's doll.
Back out to get a couple of more steps done. Ed

The most you can get on a single circuit is about 1500 watts or 5,200 Btu A small propane heater puts out 30,000 Btu. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can push it to 2250 watts for extended periods without tripping the breaker. 20A circuit, 10 ga. wire, short run to the panel. So that would scale out to 7,800 BTUs in something like 600 cu. ft. of space.
I definitely need propane. Those portable units seem expensive to run though, and I can't really see doing that when I have a 300 gal. tank sitting there. It looks to cost about $3-400 to get a heater and plumb it back to the tank, but I haven't got any measured drawings or firm estimates yet; just ballpark figures from people who sound like the'll be happy if I don't call them back.
Maybe tax time. Heat or table saw, table saw or heat... Sigh.