When does the disease end?

Started serious wood working 2 years ago this time of year, and since then I've aquired quite a nice set of tools. The problem is, every time I buy a new big shiny machine, I wonder how I ever lived without it. When does this feeling end, when the money runs out? ;-)

Reply to
Larry Bud

Just about 2 days after you're dead and buried. Welcome to the fold :)

Reply to
Chris Hornberger

No, not even when the money runs out.

I have this theory that whne you "start" woodworking, you think that the more tools that you have, the more successful that you will be. After about 15+ years, I am still somewhere in this stage - enjoying a shiny new tool every so often.

But I think that if you can progress far enough, you get beyond the "Norm" stage (to which I am still aspiring) and into a more "artistic" stage where you can do exceptional work with hand tools (see Frank Klausz video on Dovetailed drawers - FWW website).

Many of us are in in the "unwashed mass" category - happily buying stuff that makes us marginally better - and probably doomed by same to remain (broadly) where we are.

Still, I like my power tools and have to remind myself of what it was like "back then" when I couldn't miter a decent corner.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I look at it like an insurance policy. When I die my wife will be able to support herself for the rest of her years by selling off my tools.

Nova

When you keep making the same thing for a while. Most of the need for new tools is because you're doing new things.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't think it does, unless you burn out or get more interested in something else that becomes your priority..

I see myself getting more patient and a little more skilled lately... this in turn requires more and better tools, so that you can USE these factors, reinforced by the fact that when you're starting out, most of the things that you build are FOR the hobby/disease... bench, router table, jigs, shelves, cabinets, drawers, etc.. That means that you have to SEE your results all the time and think about how much better/easier/faster/cooler it would have been if you just had this one tool when you did it..

Besides, if you didn't keep buying tools, all of those Chi-Wan-ese kids would be going blind in factories for nothing... it's your duty to kids everywhere to keep buying bigger and better tools..

Reply to
mac davis

It ends when you die, and your wife/kids pay someone to haul away all those nasty old machines.

Makes one really want to be sure they have a will written up, and at least be sure the tools go to someone who will appreciate them

John

Reply to
John

Only if she knows what they are really worth, to often they are sold for next to nothing because 1. She has no need for them and wants to empty the house and 2. She doesn't have a clue what they are really worth.

Put it in writing what the tools are really worth, keep it updated and keep it with your will so she will find it after you are gone assuming you go first.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Me, Me, Me. I will appreciate them. How are you feeling these days? When can I come down and appreciate them in person?

Reply to
Upscale

Ironically, it ends when some other guy uses his tools to make a nice wooden box and you're in it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Cha! If only it were *that* easy. You hear stories of people living on the streets with addictions but somehow

*they* manage to find the money and the time for their Jones. Believe me, you *will* find the money.

UA100, blood seller/confirmed addict since 1967(ish)...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My wife bought most of them..

Nova

On 19 Nov 2004 17:21:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

It only _becomes_ a "disease" when the money runs out!

Reply to
Old Nick

No. It far outlasts the money. Trust me on this.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

My money ran out some time ago...

But I have a mini-gloat; I found a luthier who will trade me the use of his shop and tools -- and expert guidance, in exchange for violin lessons!!!

-- Howard My opinionated book reviews on sales topics

Howard

I'm a bit more optimistic than that. There have been more than a few times when I've seen old widows protecting their departed husband's tools like a shrine. It's kind of touching really- I can't imagine that an 80-yr old woman is out using a unisaw, they just like to keep them around.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I don't know, but I'm finding that none of the local hardware stores have anything I want anymore. Doesn't make me want to stop getting tools, it just makes me want to start going to industrial auctions. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I'm finding the same effect at Woodcraft/Rock-a-lers.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Good point. I've been trying to learn something new each time I pick a project. But then that "something new" kinda becomes tedious. for instance, I just bought a jointer. Yeah, I've lived without one for 2 years, and I can make pretty darn good glued up panels just by straigtening the board on the table saw, but that sure becomes a hassle.

Raised panels: I've learned how to do them on the table saw, but now I just want to MAKE one, without having to sand the crap out of it when I'm done, so the raised panel bit is on order.... Please, someone just finish me off now!

Reply to
Larry Bud

LOL!

Reply to