When did SHINY become COOL

Page 2 of 2

Wood use probably began with fallen tree branches/limbs tied together with animal sinew or hide strips. Then some bright neo-wrecker thought the branches used inside would look different (even better) if the bark were stripped off. Then scraping the wood with a rock produced a smoother surface. Then wiping crushed berries over the stripped branch produced "colored" wood. And on . . . and on . . . and on . . .
I'd suggest it has all been a steady progress towards the general "beautification" of mankind's surroundings and possessions. Shiny objects attract the eye and are often considered to have a certain aesthetic quality whereas dull objects are usually considered to be utilitarian. (Gross generalization, I know.)
FoggyTown
foggytown wrote: Shiny

Try giving your woman a pumice stone ring and see what happens.
FoggyTown
charlie b wrote: [when did shiny become cool]
I thought it was when MTV aired?
er
--
sanding wood and getting tired...

Amen, brother.
jc

You've swung at the wrong nail. The reason for shiny is that it is the natural result of reflection from a flat surface. It's the flat surface that we want, and we want, where the incident light doesn't reflect back into our faces and shine, to look right through the finish with minimum interference. That's what "pops" the grain, the lack of interference and light scatter, which, of course, are not possible without a smooth surface.
Of course, it has been a practice in furniture-making for centuries to polish the most visible surface and neglect the others by merely protecting them. After all, they aren't in the same plane, and would never "shine" simultaneously with the same light source.