When are biscuits appropriate for joints?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed 31 Dec 2003 02:39:05p, snipped-for-privacy@kabah.com (g) wrote in

Great article! That one's in my woodworking folder. :-)
I'll also add two things: 1. SWMBO wanted a shelf in the nightstand door, placed at the right height so she could reach it easily from the bed. We found the height and I marked a straight line, put the shelf on it and marked for three biscuits. Removed the shelf, cut the slots in the shelf board, flattened the fence, carefully cut the slots in the door. Glued fence, clamped with caul. Everything aligned perfect. Rock solid joint, no screws. Love that biscuit cutter.
2. I remember a thread here from about a year or so ago where somebody was asking how he got dips in the table top, and they all seemed to be right where the biscuits were. Couldn't prove it conclusively but it looked like he'd sanded the top too soon after glueing. I think he sanded about twelve hours after the glueup and the biscuits were still swollen from the glue. The next day they returned to normal size, and since the table top was flat before they shrank, it caused the dips. I usually wait at least 24 hours before finishing those panels but now I have more incentive. :-)
Dan
Nobody's yet mentioned biscuit slot orientation whe it comes to edge-on panel glueups---drop the slot location slightly lower than center to preclude "telegraphing" the biscuit's location. Wait a couple days before final sanding the surface. Roger OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO