When all you have is a file, everything looks look a nail?

Sigh.
I get home today and there's a file on the kitchen counter. I say to my wife, "What were you filing?". "Huh?", she replies. "What were you filing? There's a file on the counter", says I. "Oh", she says, "I couldn't find a hammer".
At this point, I was a little incredulous and replied, "You were hammering with a file!?". "Yeah", she says, "would you rather I had used one of your chisels?".
She had me there.
Roy Smith wrote:

When my bride and I tied the knot 23 years ago she had a couple of toolboxes with various hand tools given her by her father. They have all been assimiliated into "my shop." In the past month, out of the blue, she said she thought it would be nice if she could get her tools and toolboxes back. Your story gives me motivation to do that! ;-)
-- Mark
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:08:29 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Or maybe she's talking to an attorney!
I have a friend whose wife bailed out at 25 years, which incidentally is the anniversary I'm coming up on in 2 months. I'm getting nervous...
Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

ya have to learn when to quit while you're even or a bit ahead.. like when she said "I couldn't find a hammer", the thing to do is say "oh, ok", grab the file and a cold one and head for the shop..
Roy Smith wrote:

of SWMBOlogy...
Philski

Yet another good reason to go to Harbor Freight (or Wal-Mart, or K-Mart, or whatever) and spend $10 on a tool kit to leave in one of the kitchen drawers. Never use them yourself, that way you have plausible deniablity if they're ever misplaced.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:34:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Xane T.) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

(1) Can you really resist, one day
(2) You can deny plausibly all you like. So what? <G>
***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.
People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Yes. That's why you get the $10 set, not the $20 set.

You need to get her the Black & Decker "Womans" Tool kit. There are two tools in the package. A Shoe, for hammering nails, and. I cannot remember what the other tool was.

Table knife for a screwdriver. Knew I had a picture of it somewhere.
--
Nahmie
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:20:32 GMT, "Leon"

They've upgraded it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item852482347

I think it's a butter knife for screws...
Leon - The picture of the B&D tool kit has been posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
The other tool is a knife...
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:20:32 GMT, "Leon"

Thanks.. I could not fine my copy of the file. LOL
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
You can say THAT again.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.
People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........
ranted:

Question: Is she still alive?
You need to go here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category#782&itemC36894504&rd=1 or here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category#782&itemC36411063&rd=1
Just Do It!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Roy Smith did say:

Here are some tools she'd be proud to own: www.barbarak.com They're actually decent quality tools made for women's hands.
My wife is a true tool aficionado. Half the tools I own were bought at her insistence. 8" jointer instead of 6". Jet JTAS left tilt with 50" fence rather than a contractors saw (she actually wanted the powermatic, but I have to draw the line somewhere), some Knight planes in specific woods, etc. I can't take her to Woodcraft any more. I can't afford her tastes.
Around this house, it's more likely that I'll be chastised for tool abuse. And, below is HER rule. Life is good.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

<snip of a report of a sweet wife>
Today, I dropped by Rockler to pick up a couple of more connectors for the dust collector system that never ends. A fellow in my demographic is standing in front of the X5 Unisaw, running his hand over the Bies, with a whistful look in his eye. I tell him, it's nothing but a time sink, that he'll be in the shop all of the time, building stuff. He says that he's sold all his tools, and doesn't have room for such a saw. His wife, who I hadn't noticed before, off to the other side, speaks up. "Honey, I think that if we rearranged a few things, you could fit this saw in there. It has wheels."
We joke about SWMBO at times. But often, they are priceless. His was. And mine is.
Patriarch
WoodMangler wrote: [snip]>

though he probably doesn't wear a wedding ring. A small price to pay for harmony. :-)     mahalo,     jo4hn

Years ago I was taught the Craftsman's Credo: "Every tool is a hammer, except a screwdriver. It's a chisel."