wheels on stand

I have a metal work stand, 18" x 20". I want to put my chop saw on it. Can someone suggest how to put caster wheels on it. The bottom of the legs have about a 1" hole in them. Patt

Reply to
Patt

You'll probably also need a couple of fender washers per leg but see:

Nova

"Patt" wrote in news:l5Jeh.451466$1T2.441759@pd7urf2no:

Go by the local Home Depot, (they have those in Canada, right?) and check out their Miter Saw Utility Vehicle. Clever application of what you're trying to accomplish.

I bought one a couple of years ago, on sale, and it's been a great help in what used to be a 2 car garage, and is now an overfull hobby shop.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Like the Harbor Freight Wheels or similar. if you can, get one or more washers with an outside diameter slightly smaller than the large holes (you said 1") in the legs and a center hole large enough to accommodate the bolts on the casters (essentially forming a bushing) and two fender washers on either side(top/bottom) to hold them in place

You can always drill largerholes in the washers if needed, the OD is important as you want the small ones inside the hole on the leg(s) and the larger (fender) washers to cover the edges of the hole (and hide the smaller washers).

Wish I could draw you a picture. Hope this helps.

Reply to
resrfglc

For my work stands I found sets of used scaffolding casters. The 8" wheels are big enough to roll over small stuff on the floor and the locking mechanisms are very solid and easy to engage and disengage with any kind of boot.

The shaft is about 1" I've attached them to angle iron stands by drilling a 3/8" hole though the shaft, and a corresponding hole through the corner of the angle iron. A good sized bolt and you're ready to roll.

While probably more expensive than 3.95 each, they're pretty indestructable. I've got two very heavy benches on them, and they don't move at all unless I want them to.

Reply to
alan