Wheels for entertainment center

Hello again,

What kind of wheels can I put on the entertainment center I am building. It is gonna weigh a ton with TV on it. It will need to be able to roll on carpet.

Thanks Tim L.

Reply to
Tim L.

I built a platform that my entertainment center sits on. The purpose of the platform was to hold the 4" crazy casters that allows it to move around on the carpet in my den. In my case the platform has 4 crazy casters and two fixed ones from the borg. If I were to do it over, I would use all crazy casters. The arrangement with the entertainment center on it takes a little effort to move it, but it sure takes less to move than scooting or picking it up to move it. IMHO you do not want it to be too easy to move or it would wonder away as you adjust the TV, stereo, tape deck, etc. If you do use the platform solution, make sure the entertainment center is bolted down to the platform. That way, everything moves together :-) YMMV Hope this helps, John in South Carolina

Reply to
jheacock

Rolling on carpet is going to make it difficult. The bigger and wider the wheels, the easier it will be. That means the base part hiding the wheels will have to be quite a bit higher wasting more space. On the entertainment centre I built which is 5' High x 6' Long x 21" Deep, I used 10 each of 3" castors spaced approximately 2 of them every foot. But, that's on a hardwood floor with no carpet since rolling my wheelchair on a carpet is like rolling through thick mud. I built it this way because of the need to roll it out to get in behind for wiring purposes. I figure with the stereo and peripherals,

32" TV and glass doors, the entire setup weighs about 700 lbs.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help you with a carpet problem. In my case, I'd cut the carpet away around the semi-permanent resting place of the entertainment centre and have the ability of rolling that part of the carpet away when the centre needed moving. If you've got wall to wall carpet that's attached, then you've got a problem.

Reply to
Upscale

For a ton, you'll probably have to go with 6" solid wheels. just kidding as I know you are. Seriously, I think you can away with two inch ball casters if you hide them with a skirt. How big is the TV? Better yet - what is the anticiapted GW ?

Mark from Pasadena, MD

Tim L. wrote:

Reply to
Mark

I recommend *round* ones. *grin*

more seriously, anything that'll work.

Look at some of the 'big wide roller' types that are made for big bed frames, for example..

The more 'general' answer is *DON'T* try to roll it around when it's loaded up. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Not what you asked for...but have you considered those little plastic plates that go under furniture legs so they glide across the carpet?

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill