Wheel mounting options

I found a little time between projects so I'm building a new table saw stand. It's 48" by 23" and will be on 4" casters. I have two options for mounting the wheels 1/4" lag screws or 1/4" bolts. mounting surface is two thicknesses of 3/4 birch ply. Anybody see reasons to prefer one over the other? I'm leaning towards the bolts.
D. G. Adams
I see no preference. If you use the lag screws and they don't hold well after a few years they can always be replaced with the bolts.
I've built two workbenches using lag screws, both very solid. The first one is about 15 years old now.
The only reason to use lag screws is if you don't have access for a nut on the other side, like one piece being fastened into the end grain of a cross piece. Then again, some workbenches cut a hold in the cross piece for the nut.
Mike
I see no preference. If you use the lag screws and they don't hold well after a few years they can always be replaced with the bolts.
I've built two workbenches using lag screws, both very solid. The first one is about 15 years old now.
The only reason to use lag screws is if you don't have access for a nut on the other side, like one piece being fastened into the end grain of a cross piece. Then again, some workbenches cut a hole in the cross piece for the nut.
Mike

Nuts and bolts can be tightened if they loosen, lags usually loosen and stay that way.
D. G. Adams wrote:
> I found a little time between projects so I'm building a new table saw > stand. It's 48" by 23" and will be on 4" casters. I have two options for > mounting the wheels 1/4" lag screws or 1/4" bolts. mounting surface is > two thicknesses of 3/4 birch ply. Anybody see reasons to prefer one over > the other? I'm leaning towards the bolts.
I'm leaning with you.
If you want the functionality of lag screws, but want to use threaded bolts, then install Tee nuts.
Lew