Whats with this HD plywood?

Think China.

I always put a strip of masking tape where the cut will go on my = plywood.

If yours is as bad as you suggest, try a strip on both sides of the cut.

Works for me.

--=20 PDQ

-- "Toller" wrote in message = news:Dtgof.1379$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny... | I bought a sheet of 3/4" oak plywood from HD yesterday and had them = cut it=20 | up. The splintering on the edges was horriblel it was bad on both the = top=20 | and bottom. The operator apologized; he said it is just this = particular=20 | plywood that splinters, all the others are fine. | I figured they were just too cheap to replace a dull blade. |=20 | I had them cut it oversized, and when I recut the edges on my TS it=20 | splintered there also. Much much less then it did at HD, but = certainly=20 | worse than any other plywood I have cut. |=20 | I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I am curious if anyone knows = what=20 | could be wrong with this plywood.=20 |=20 |

Reply to
PDQ

I bought a sheet of 3/4" oak plywood from HD yesterday and had them cut it up. The splintering on the edges was horriblel it was bad on both the top and bottom. The operator apologized; he said it is just this particular plywood that splinters, all the others are fine. I figured they were just too cheap to replace a dull blade.

I had them cut it oversized, and when I recut the edges on my TS it splintered there also. Much much less then it did at HD, but certainly worse than any other plywood I have cut.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I am curious if anyone knows what could be wrong with this plywood.

Reply to
Toller

I can't reply to your particular problem but I have noticed a huge difference in quality from two of the big box chains in our own town (Wichita, Ks). I usually have pretty good luck with Lowe's but they had limited supply and what they had was bad. The East Side HD was worse than bad - Horrible. I don't know how they expected to sell it. West side Lowes' (16 miles away) also terrible. The West side HD, another mile, had some really nice sheets to select from. I was almost to the point of driving to a hardwood dealer 30 miles away.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Chinese plywood?

Reply to
Battleax

I recently built a project that started out using some old oak ply drops from my bar build (5 years ago). Didn't have enough to finish so I went to the borg to buy more... there was a HUGE difference not only in the quality of the veneer, but in its thickness. Old stuff better than 1/32 new stuff barely 1/64....

Toller wrote:

Reply to
lex

Reply to
wayne mak

I've noticed that it is worse when cross-cutting. I still get a little, even with good quality sheets. I've gotten into the habit of scoring my cutline with a knife. Works like a charm.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I bought some of that plywood just last week. The outer plys are very thin and splintered easily UNLESS I covered the cut line with blue painters tape. Then it seemed to do just fine. Another problem with it I noticed was that it bubbled real easily if it got wet, so I won't use any water based finishes on it.

Ronnie Aldrich

Reply to
shooter

Is it that hard to believe that the plywood from the borg is junk? I quit buy plywood from them long ago.

Dave

Teamcasa

I'll give tape a try. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Have you tried Star Lumber lately? They usually have good material but very expensive. Earl Creel

Reply to
Earl Creel

As someone else mentioned, Chinese plywood.

Home Depot (don't know about Lowe's) has rather recently been offering cheaper hardwood plywood imported from China. The previous oak/birch offerings were ~$41/sheet. The new Chinese offering is ~$23/sheet (at least around Pittsburgh). The HD closest to my house actually has both $41 and $23 birch plywood but only $41 oak plywood.

An additional help here would be a zero-clearance insert on your tablesaw's plate. I don't get nearly the tearout you mention using a WWII and a zero clearance plate.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

I can't comment on the origin of the product. At HD here in Toronto they have some of the codes listed on the label. Baltic Birch as opposed to Birch, which is available in 5'x5' sheets is guaranteed to be: as thick as its nominal size ( making tooling easier), greater, thicker, stronger plys, from same company, origin, and quality. Its a hardwood.

CORE veneer core v/c lumber core l/c (sawed lumber: strongest, best edge, easiest to cut, not common) fibre core f/c particle core p/c

ADHESIVE Type 1: (or "technical type"): exterior water proof Type 2: moisture resistant, some delam if wetted, most common interior Type 3: come apart if wetted; interior, keep reasonable dry

GRADE Hardwood

Face (by letter) AA A B C (considered utility grade) D (considered utility grade) E (considered utility grade)

Back (by number)

1 (best) 2 3 4

Imported Hardwood (gen diff) Face BBPF (best) BB CC OVL

Back A (best) B

Softwood (both face and back by same letter) N (best-not common, special order) A B C-plugged C D

CUT ROT (rotary) FLAT flitch cut, or stay-log cut - may be slip matched or book matched

GROUP (strength or specific gravity of species in core) - unless specific application of strength or stiffness, need not worry. Hardwood A (strongest) B C

Softwood

1 (strongest) 2 3 4 5

Generally, woodworkers use B-2 or better on visible or outside, and C-2 or C-3 or better for inside of furniture or cabinets. Softwod: N-B or A-B, and no less than B-B outside.

1/2" Birch here at HD says at least this much on the label: G2S (B-2) VC

from Engler, Nick, Wood And Woodworking Materials

Reply to
bent

If you can use the smaller sized 3/4" oak plywood i.e. 24"x48", it is of cabinet grade, many more plies and much thicker veneer. This is what i buy for most of my projects. I asked H.D. why they can't provide that grade in 4x8 sheets and he replied with the standard generic answer "I'LL check on that".

Reply to
Seeker

Yes - In fact I also had them in mind as I drove across town. They are a bit more expensive but usually worth it. The folks at Oxford provide quality when they have ply in stock.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

That's why it so damn hard to answer any questions about plywood quality at the BORG's. It depends ... on the particular store, the day/week, which load. Tomorrow/next week it may be better, or worse.

Reply to
Swingman

It's cheap shit, that's what's wrong with it. DUH!

If you want decent plywood, buy it at a real lumberyard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The last 3/4" Birch I got at HD a few months ago was pretty bad. More than splintering, the veneer peeled.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

What? You Canucks get Baltic Birch in your HD stores? Not fair! I asked for Baltic Birch at my local HD (Austin, TX) and all I got was a dumb look.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

RE: Subject

If it is for basic construction, then maybe use it.

Screw the crap coming in from China.

If you need real plywood, find a plywood distributer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett