What would YOU do with this thing?

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to the fireplace.

what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside. I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
bob

Certainly off topic but it brought back fond memories. We had a Majestic gas grille many years ago that I purchased and installed. It was a "drop in" design that installed in a counter and all you could see was the grate and a bezel or whatever you call it.

Ours worked on natural gas. However, I seem to remember that Majestic made a charcol version.

Reply to
greatviewcsc

First of all, I'd burn the wooden cat in it. Then I'd remove the grill including the cat's ashes 'cept a few grains of the ash, which I would store in a small container and sell on eBay at The Cat's Ash.

Seriously, Bob, I think it's a matter of opinion, mine being that it should be removed and the brickwork acid cleaned and maybe install a couple of really heavy (2" thick) exotic wood shelves. Maybe even three shelves of different depths...but thick ones... even 2 1/2".. almost beam-like.

...kidding about the cat, btw... It's kinda neat.

Robatoy

Yeah, it's kinda OT, but not completely. What's not shown to the left of the grill is the kitchen that I'm doing in cherry. The grill isn't really IN the kitchen, but sort of serves as a dividing line. The people who had the house built added an extension about a year after they moved in, including the grill and fireplace. Something in tune with the kichen would be nice. I've thought about removing the grill entirely, and putting in some heavy cherry shelves for cookbooks, but there's just something kind of funky-groovy about the grill that makes it hard to part with. Someone on a UK newsgroup suggested putting a light inside it, covering the top with frosted glass, and making it into an uplight shelf. I'm thinkin' booze bottles.

I carried that cat home from Bali and grafted his legs back on when I got home. He's not going anywhere. As an interesting aside, to me anyway, 12 years and he still hasn't cracked in two in the Montreal climate.

Reply to
bob

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

bob

Bob, why ask us? You surely know your wife will be calling the shots on this one.

Reply to
ROY!

Nah, nobody's the boss around here. Hell,.she doesn't even care when I buy tools.

Reply to
bob

Uhuh.... sure...yup...

*G*
Reply to
Robatoy

I'd put some grow lights in the top of the space, take off the grill irons, and grow pot plants in the basin.

-T.E.

Reply to
Thomas Edward Stosterone

I think they evolved into this conglomerate

Edwin Pawlowski

"bob" wrote

I would rip it out and convert most of the remaining space to wood storage. You can never have too much wood in the house on a cold winter night.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'd learn how to cross-post, for one thing!

Reply to
Pop`

He he...

I actually didn' xpost deliberately, because I think there are many people, me included, who have kill filters for xposts.

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos

bob

I know what I would do. I'd remove that thing. Maybe use it for an outdoor patio grill. The space it's in would become a place for a pizza or bread oven. Nothing like a home made pizza cooked over an open fire! In fact, if the grill that's there now could fit a large pizza inside, maybe it could stay. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I trust that any law enforcement officers reading this newsgroup will assume you mispelt 'potted plants'.

Reply to
fredfighter

Blacksmith's forge or soaking pit. Make plane arns and temper them in the comfort of your living room. That cast iron cat looks to be a perfect anvil.

Reply to
Father Haskell

On Mar 19, 1:54 am, Thomas Edward Stosterone

I trust you havn't had much exposure to this particular UK english phrase, which means precisely what you thought it misspelt. ;)

(Heck, it's even in the harry potter books! (of which, I prefer to get the canadian edition, which has the version of english released everywhere but America.))

cheers.

Reply to
flip+

Like the other two posters said, use it for wood storage or a planter. It is a novel thing, but it's wasted space at the same time. I'm finding it hard to believe they did all that extra brick work just for this thing.

Reply to
Max Black