what would you do

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 11:56:52 AM UTC-8, Electric Comet wrote:

Mainly, a 4x4 will be the core of a log; it'll have the 'bullseye' of the growth rings in its middle. So, it's never long straight-grain knot-free wood. If you want long straight-grain wood, you had best split long logs yourself, and figure on losing an inch or two toward the center (pithwood) and the outside (sapwood). Or, get planks and glue 'em up.
You must have small trees if 4x4 is the core of the log. Post oak ?
I sawed up 3 logs into 4x4's. All oak. 74 total count. Some were scrap with decay or bark. But 74 out of 3 logs caused me to make 2x6's out of the next three logs and 1x out of the next 4 logs. I have all that are 12'+ and one log was 17'. Those 4x4's are heavy!
Martin
On 2/5/2016 7:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

I doubt such a thing exists.
A boat shop might make some for you (at a significant cost) since that's a reasonable size for a mast or boom.
It's not particularly hard to make round lumber, tho. Take a length of square stock, mark it with an 8-siding gauge and plane it into an octagon, then plane it round by eye and feel (you can eyeball a 16-sided form by making the flats the same width, then round that by feel).
Good exercise, too.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

I did some work on a barn that had been repaired with round lumber a while back. In this case some of the round lumber still had the bark on it.
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 09:24:57 -0800, Electric Comet

who uses something similar and find out what they use and where they get it. Likely available within 20 miles of either them or you.

Depends -- what are you planning to do with it?
Electric Comet wrote:

I would ask Electric Comet - he seems to have the answer to everything.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 2/3/2016 11:24 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

A 4x4 isn't 4". 3 3/4 at best. So center it and turn off a little. Want it round ? have to cut it down anyway.
Fence posts are in abundant. Ever go to a lumber yard ? We have fence post makers around here from 2" to 12". Pick up a 12" fence post with a hoist. That is a good sized tree.
searching for it on the web is odd. How big a chunk and what are you trying to do ??
Martin
On 2/3/2016 11:24 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:10:33 -0600, Martin Eastburn

across country to "save money" over buying from a local source.
TryTSC (tractor supply) orchard supply, or a local farmer's co-op, or a local fencing contractor.
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:10:33 -0600

too much money though and too much waste i have ruled out 4x4

nothing that i could use so looking online a lot of fencing suppliers sell fencing by the linear foot not what i need