what would you do

Are your legs still the same length? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Mainly, a 4x4 will be the core of a log; it'll have the 'bullseye' of the growth rings in its middle. So, it's never long straight-grain knot-free wood. If you want long straight-grain wood, you had best split long logs yourself, and figure on losing an inch or two toward the center (pithwood) and the outside (sapwood). Or, get planks and glue 'em up.

Reply to
whit3rd

You must have small trees if 4x4 is the core of the log. Post oak ?

I sawed up 3 logs into 4x4's. All oak. 74 total count. Some were scrap with decay or bark. But 74 out of 3 logs caused me to make 2x6's out of the next three logs and 1x out of the next 4 logs. I have all that are 12'+ and one log was 17'. Those 4x4's are heavy!

Mart> >> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I did some work on a barn that had been repaired with round lumber a while back. In this case some of the round lumber still had the bark on it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

too much money though and too much waste i have ruled out 4x4

nothing that i could use so looking online a lot of fencing suppliers sell fencing by the linear foot not what i need

Reply to
Electric Comet

that is part of the reason to get something that is close to 3"

fencing suppliers like to sell fencing in linear feet at least online

have to visit a fencing supply in person when i have time but will keep looking around

Reply to
Electric Comet

another problem is that many fence products are treated and that is somethin i do not need or want as i said will laminate for now and keep my eyes peeled for a source

i did find some poles which is a term that i did not use to search earlier

Reply to
Electric Comet

Try curtainrods.com

clare

They are FAR from cheap though. Shipping is nasty too unless you are in the north-east and run over to pick them up yourself - 6 and 8 foot lengths.

Reply to
clare

price and shipping kills the deal i also found a supplier of hardwood dowels but also not cheap and they laminate the larger diameter stock they sell

Reply to
Electric Comet

On 02/09/2016 1:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote: ...

Again, what's the end purpose, here? That might engender some other ideas...

Reply to
dpb