what would you do

where to find 3 inch diameter lumber

is the only option to buy 4x4 material

6 or 8 or 10 foot lengths ok

i thought i could find fence posts but have not had much luck

i feel it is a case of the wrong search terms and once i find the magic word i will find the material

Reply to
Electric Comet

I don't know what the intended purpose is, but if framing lumber will do then two laminated 2x4's equals 3" thick. Rip 1/2" off before or after and you get a 3x3. You also get the added benefit this "post" being more stable because you laminate them together with polarized grain meaning the two will hold each other straight if they warp.

Reply to
-MIKE-

hubops

Round stock? I don't recall seeing fence posts that small in diameter, nor any other round stock that size, as a commodity item... Outside of 1 1/4" closet poles, or smaller dowels, I don't recall seeing full round stock in my millwork/woodworking supply books... This sounds like a custom turning job, or perhaps cutting up really large boat ores...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Oh, diameter... some other guys mentioned round. Are we talking round? If so, seems like a good excuse to buy a lathe. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

Round fence rails are not uncommon...need to find a fencing supply yard, not just a big box L*wes or H*meDep*t. Not sure of the diameter tho. As far as a lathe, I think there may be one in Washington state that could turn them :)

Reply to
bnwelch

bnwelch

yes round stock

for smaller lengths i use firewood but finding longer has been the challenge the boat oars might be a good clue

i may resort to lamination

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:n8td2d$8ib$3 @dont-email.me:

I doubt such a thing exists.

A boat shop might make some for you (at a significant cost) since that's a reasonable size for a mast or boom.

It's not particularly hard to make round lumber, tho. Take a length of square stock, mark it with an 8-siding gauge and plane it into an octagon, then plane it round by eye and feel (you can eyeball a 16-sided form by making the flats the same width, then round that by feel).

Good exercise, too.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On 02/03/2016 1:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote: ...

For what end purpose?

Reply to
dpb

Totally forget about looking it up online. Get out and find someone who uses something similar and find out what they use and where they get it. Likely available within 20 miles of either them or you.

Reply to
clare

Electric Comet wrote in news:n8td2d$8ib$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Depends -- what are you planning to do with it?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would ask Electric Comet - he seems to have the answer to everything.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Why bother using the * in the names of those stores? Using that accomplishes nothing and simply spelling out the names risks nothing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

For the same reason I'm going to start using "Fest**l". If use the correct name, B|\\ will get upset that I'm advertising. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Where do you live ? and what are you trying to do ?

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

A 4x4 isn't 4". 3 3/4 at best. So center it and turn off a little. Want it round ? have to cut it down anyway.

Fence posts are in abundant. Ever go to a lumber yard ? We have fence post makers around here from 2" to 12". Pick up a 12" fence post with a hoist. That is a good sized tree.

searching for it on the web is odd. How big a chunk and what are you trying to do ??

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

True, round posts and rails are not uncommon... but all I've seen used in these parts and in the stores are bigger than 3" in diameter... The closest post size is more like 4" and it is intended for wire, not for rails. Perhaps in other regions things are different... and it wouldn't surprise me. This as many things have been down sized over the years though claimed to meet the performance standards of the larger sizes. Now there is a discussion had here on the rec countless times over the past few decades! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Ordering fence posts on-line so he can double the price shipping them across country to "save money" over buying from a local source.

TryTSC (tractor supply) orchard supply, or a local farmer's co-op, or a local fencing contractor.

Reply to
clare

You're moving to subliminal tactics now, eh? ;)

Reply to
Bill