what would you do

Page 1 of 2
where to find 3 inch diameter lumber
is the only option to buy 4x4 material
6 or 8 or 10 foot lengths ok
i thought i could find fence posts but have not had much luck
i feel it is a case of the wrong search terms and once i find the magic word i will find the material
On 2/3/16 11:24 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I don't know what the intended purpose is, but if framing lumber will do then two laminated 2x4's equals 3" thick. Rip 1/2" off before or after and you get a 3x3. You also get the added benefit this "post" being more stable because you laminate them together with polarized grain meaning the two will hold each other straight if they warp.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/3/16 11:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh, diameter... some other guys mentioned round. Are we talking round? If so, seems like a good excuse to buy a lathe. :-D
--

-MIKE-

http://www.tscstores.com/3-X-8-CEDAR-FENCE-POST-P10849.aspx#.VrJANS5uldg
--- ---
"Electric Comet" wrote in message

Round stock? I don't recall seeing fence posts that small in diameter, nor any other round stock that size, as a commodity item... Outside of 1 1/4" closet poles, or smaller dowels, I don't recall seeing full round stock in my millwork/woodworking supply books... This sounds like a custom turning job, or perhaps cutting up really large boat ores...
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 1:18:28 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Round fence rails are not uncommon...need to find a fencing supply yard, not just a big box L*wes or H*meDep*t. Not sure of the diameter tho. As far as a lathe, I think there may be one in Washington state that could turn them :)
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 1:38:03 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=round+fence+rails&safe=off&espv=2&biw 20&bih9&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwi-5ePhntzKAhXjtYMKHSHvCokQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=UjdLwiS42QrlRM%3A
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:40:17 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

another problem is that many fence products are treated and that is somethin i do not need or want as i said will laminate for now and keep my eyes peeled for a source
i did find some poles which is a term that i did not use to search earlier
On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 16:52:39 -0800, Electric Comet

Try curtainrods.com http://curtainrods.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cartlink=woodtrends3.htm&cart_id >

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 21:21:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They are FAR from cheap though. Shipping is nasty too unless you are in the north-east and run over to pick them up yourself - 6 and 8 foot lengths.

On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 00:13:05 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

price and shipping kills the deal i also found a supplier of hardwood dowels but also not cheap and they laminate the larger diameter stock they sell
On 02/09/2016 1:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote: ...

Again, what's the end purpose, here? That might engender some other ideas...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why bother using the * in the names of those stores? Using that accomplishes nothing and simply spelling out the names risks nothing.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

For the same reason I'm going to start using "Fest**l". If use the correct name, B|\\ will get upset that I'm advertising. ;-)
krw wrote:

You're moving to subliminal tactics now, eh? ;)

Are your legs still the same length? ;-)
wrote in message

True, round posts and rails are not uncommon... but all I've seen used in these parts and in the stores are bigger than 3" in diameter... The closest post size is more like 4" and it is intended for wire, not for rails. Perhaps in other regions things are different... and it wouldn't surprise me. This as many things have been down sized over the years though claimed to meet the performance standards of the larger sizes. Now there is a discussion had here on the rec countless times over the past few decades! LOL
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:37:58 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

that is part of the reason to get something that is close to 3"
fencing suppliers like to sell fencing in linear feet at least online
have to visit a fencing supply in person when i have time but will keep looking around
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 13:18:11 -0500

yes round stock
for smaller lengths i use firewood but finding longer has been the challenge the boat oars might be a good clue
i may resort to lamination
On 02/03/2016 1:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote: ...

For what end purpose?