What would you do?

Page 2 of 2

... and you are replying to... exactly who?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

to the poster that remarked that a tablecloth wouldn't protect the shellac finish.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There is--it's called a "coaster" and he's already ruled that out.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Some may be inconsiderate, but I believe most just don't know any better. I think the responsiblity lies with the host. Provide plenty of coasters, placed where people are most likely to put their drinks. It's really a stretch to consider someone inconsiderate for using an object such as a table for exactly the purpose it was intended, and in fact in exactly the way that most tables are used. The problem is with the finish selected and its inablity to stand up to normal uses. Can't really fault the unsuspecting guest for not being as well informed about these things as the hobbiest woodworker.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

this is a good point. I had envisioned for the original post that this table was sort of set aside on display and that the guests were told "this is my newest piece etc." If the table was simply incorporated into the overall house furniture then true you can't really blame guests for putting their drinks on it.

Put the table behind a velvet rope like they have in museums. If you have no velvet ropes consider not serving drinks.
-j
On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:31:35 -0700, the inscrutable "J"

Velvet ropes and no drinks? What kind of S&M joint IS this?
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

Depends on what they're drinking. If it's beer, then you can serve them in those foam cooler wraps. I think there might be some higher end plastic glasses around that don't sweat the way ordinary glass does, but I don't remember where I've seen them. Only other solution is to place a waterproof cover on the table. There's some really good looking ones available if you go that route, but then it won't be as easy to show off your new project.
I would use varnish. Seems simple enough; or is this a trick question?

I saw some "table runners" at the store yesterday that had some sort of plastic-type coating on the underside. The visible side was nicely woven, and came in several colors/prints. They didn't cover the whole table, just a good portion of the center- but they looked nice, and something like that would reduce the chances of the finish getting damaged while still allowing people to see at least some of the project. You can't protect it from everything that way, but it skews the odds in your favor a little.
You could also get a sheet of plate glass to lay over the top. Easy to clean, and completely waterproof. Last one I saw was about $60, but that'll vary depending on how thick the glass is, what the dimentions of the top are, and whether or not the glass is beveled. I believe standard practice when doing this is to place some small spacers between the table and the glass (felt is what I've seen most often, but suction cups get used a lot for this as well.)
Have read several reports of plastic reacting with topcoats. Believe Jeff Jewitt calls it "plasticizing". Search www.homesteadfinishing.com for that word or plastic.
On Sat, 28 May 2005 06:34:57 -0500, Prometheus

Could've been vinyl, or even some kind of rayon. I imagine the OP would have to check the materials for possible reactions based on what the particular product in his area is made from.

Easy fix.
Glue coasters to the bottom of ALL your glasses. Takes getting use to, but it works.

You could try putting it behind a velvet rope so that it can be admired at a safe distance.
SteveP.

You can own your furniture, or it can own you.
Forget about trying to educate everyone. You might get through to some, but you definitely won't get through to others. After you're dead you won't get through to anyone. Your work of art will be forever vulnerable.
The first pepper mill I ever made took me forever. (Okay, two weeks.) I did a pretty good job and put a nice finish on it. I have a wife and two children, and fifteen years later I still can't get them to wash and dry their hands before using it. I've scraped all sorts of dried food bits off it over the years, but I'm not going to hide it away. I made it because I wanted fresh ground pepper. I decided that if it gets too ruined that I can't stand it any more, I'll make another one, and it'll be even better. I thought about making one for each person, but I just know that won't work out.
It's a shame there's a mark on your project so soon after you made it. Entropy is unstoppable. The best you can hope to do is exert some influence. I look at the underside of my crappy tables (where all the scribbling is) and know that these things are going to happen no matter what I do.
Sorry, I don't have any good advice for you. All I can do is sympathize.
- Owen -
bremen68 wrote:

that (a) it keeps cold drinks cold, (b) it keeps hot drinks hot, (c) drips get caught before the get to the table, and (d) if you pull the glass liner out the stainless steel insulator is an exact fit on a standard 12-ounce soda or beer can.
There's also a JCA350 that has a commuter-mug top instead of the glass liner--otherwise they are the same. Note one is JC_E_, the other is JC_A_.
Very, very nice, and really works--a can of soda will stay cold for hours.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Like hell it does. I put my hot coffee in there one morning, then some cold soda on top for a break later in the day. When I opened it an hour later, they were both about room temperature. And the layers got mixed too.

Wasn't that a Steven Wright joke:
"How does it know?"
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:24:38 GMT, the inscrutable Patrick Conroy

<g>
I love that guy. Here is a page of his best stuff: http://meer.net/~mtoy/steven_wright.html
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:21:04 -0700, Larry Jaques

When I lived in Manhattan during the Eighties, I spent some time going out with his old girl friend.
One night he showed up while we were having dinner.
He wasn't funny.
I was tempted to say to him:
"You can't have everything, where would you keep it?"
I restrained myself.