What would you do?

Page 1 of 2

We had a bunch of friends & families coming over for a party last week to "celebrate" my latest ww project. When the party was over, I was shocked to find a white ring from a drink someone left on it!!! (probably one of the kids.) :{
What would you do to make sure this is not going to happen again, short of canceling all future parties (impossible) or follow everyone around and put the coaster on the table before he/she puts down the drink (kinda impolite)?
If I remember correctly, I think there is an easy fix for this. I'll look at some of my books to see what to do. What kind of finish was it?
Thanks, it was shallac. But my real point is, what would be a socially acceptable way to prevent people from being careless on your "proud pieice of art"?
(Sorry if this is not directly related to the WW topic. But I guess it's a problem that many of WWreckers might be facing.)

100 years ago shellac was the predominant furniture finish. everyone knew how to treat it, even people who couldn't afford any. today laquer and poly have largely squeezed shellac out. if you want your shellac surfaces to be treated properly you'll have to educate your guests.
On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:47:19 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@all.costs spake:

Right. Print out copies of the rules & gather everyone around. Now hand 'em to everyone, making sure they read 'em BEFORE they get their drinks. Keep a wooden yardstick handy for those who choose to forget. "KAWHAP!" is a sound (and feel) the guests won't soon forget. ;)
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

CrackedHands wrote:

People who know you well you should be able to teach that the finish is delicate and needs a certain amount of babying. Kids and relative strangers may be a different story.
If this is something that is going to be used regularly instead of just looked at you might want to consider redoing the top in polyurethane or lacquer or varnish or something else that doesn't make white rings when it gets wet. There are those who cringe at the thought of this, but to me there are two kinds of furniture--museum pieces and pieces that are to be used. And for those that are used (at least by us ordinary folk who don't have dozens of spare rooms to fill with art) certain concessions of artistic purity should be made in the interest of utility.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

How 'bout having a piece of glass made to fit the top? At least for use during those party occassions.
Renata
On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:35:25 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Glass top. or 'table pad'. Prevents recurrances.
Oops. NOw if I had read just ONE more article in the thread, I'd a seen that my suggestion was a rerun. Terribly apologetic an' all.
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:57:51 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:44:38 -0700, CrackedHands wrote:

Put 7' legs on it.
Education might be in order but, kids and fine furniture are never a great mix.
I'll bet you never thought you'd be one of those uptight people running around putting coasters under everyones drink.
Poly goes over shellac if it's dewaxed. It's impossible to keep people at a party from placing drinks on a table, at some point.
Try removing the ring with a tiny bit of alcohol on a rag wiped around and around the ring. Don't saturate the cloth and don't let the cloth sit in one spot. The idea is to create a fast dissipating "vapor trail" of alcohol, barely more than fumes.
Dave
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

FYI on fixes
http://www.assoc-restorers.com/r-articles/sal/watermrk.html
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00084.asp
Several years ago, I had just finished a coffee table for the living room - butternut oval with two leaves and a shellac finish. About two weeks later, we had people in after a charity auction to add up the proceeds. One of them, a gentleman who certainly knew better, put a clunky old adding machine on the table. I swept in and placed a towel under the machine but the damage had already been done by a foot that had lost its pad. He instantly appologized profusely. I am not sure I did the right thing but I just could not bear to see the table ruined. Of course by now it has scratches from the cat, mother in law's ankle cast and who knows what else. Maybe the lesson is that furnature is to be used, even if we try for the perfect finish..... Dave

I love butternut, but it is largely ornamental; you can't actually put anything on it! In fact, I just made someone a butternut buffet; and warned her I wasn't responsible if she put anything heavier than a picture frame on it. Has anyone tried putting epoxy wood hardener on butternut?
for those of us that try to be considerate the inconsiderate are just maddening.
I think the best thing to do is just sigh and be glad that you are not the type of person that would put an unprotected drink on someone's new piece of painstakingly handcrafted furniture and call it good. Then again perhaps a tablecloth or something to protect your better pieces when kids are visiting isn't such a bad idea.
A tablecloth will not protect the shellac from a sweating glass.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Then again perhaps a

fine. i imagine that there is some piece of technology available that will protect this gentleman's table's shellac finish from sweating glasses. Perhaphs he could avail himself of that.