What wood is this from Madeira?

My SWMBO goes treasure hunting at yard and estate sales. Last week she brought home an octagonal wooden platter with a rich reddish-brown glossy finish. On the back it appears to have what may be a makers signature and "Madeira."
Can you tell us what the wood is?
The pix are in ABPW.
Thanks.
George

some type of mahogany
http://dict.die.net/madeira%20wood /

Madeira simply means wood in Spanish but I guess you knew that.
Joe Bleau wrote:

That's "Madera". Madeira on the other hand is an autonomous region of Portugal consisting of several islands in the Atlantic.
--John
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:03:56 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I stand corrected. Having lived in both Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries I sometimes confuse the orthography. However, note that wood (Eng) is madera (sp) and madeira (portuguese).
Madeira is also a lovely island off the coast of Portugal which I visited many years ago. It was a popular vacation site for older Brits at the time. One of its main tourist attractions was to get into a heavy wooden sled built on pole runners to be pulled to the to of a hill by oxen. The sled trail consisted of slick granite paving stones. At the top of the hill the sled was released and its occupants would shoot to the bottom wondering if the sled would fly apart (at least that's what I wondered).
In spite of its name I recall the island as having been fairly well deforested, with the hills themselves being terraced to gain additional agricultural land.
When I looked at the jpeg I was wondering if it could be a wood native to Madeira but I doubt it. I have no idea what the wood is.

Madeira to me is cake and port.

A beach in Florida to me. Lou