What wood is this?

Page 2 of 2

*** Yes, that is the practical thing to do. PvR
Ben Bullock wrote:

Ben, are you in Tokyo too? :-)
That piece you have in the picture looks really nice, but I'm not sure what it is. I've got a carpenter friend that knows the local woods pretty well so I'll run it by him.
I recently found a lumber yard nearby that has a giveaway bin. Half of my living room is now filled with wood scraps.

I'm in Tsukuba which is near Tokyo.

I've put some better natural light photos there now.

That little shack in the photo set is the giveaway place for this lumber yard. There was about a ton of bits of wood in front of it and I picked some nicer looking pieces. I probably should have taken more.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:40:16 +0900, "Ben Bullock"

Well, you might well know these things but I believe Japanese would be grateful for two things- * That you took some * That you left some.
Ben Bullock wrote:

Looks like ash to me as well.
--Steve

If it is very light, maybe butternut.

I've got a tentative answer from a wood expert which is that as far as he can tell from the photos it is Zelkova wood, or keyaki.
Thanks very much to everyone who looked at the photos and suggested an answer. It's been a learning experience for me.

*** Thank you for letting us know. That certainly is an option, although in this case it is not really possible to 100% certain identify this wood from a picture only. But if the local experts think this is likely to be it then it is likely to be so. PvR
schreef

That's what he said too.

I'm pretty sure this person knows what he's talking about.