what wood is this?

No pictures, and a conclusive answer isn't really necessary. I just thought maybe someone would know.

It was sold as "oak." It comes from somewhere in the far east. It looks vaguely oak like, but it has sort of a coral pink cast to it, and the grain structure reminds me of ash

It seems to be on the soft side. A bit harder than poplar maybe, but not as hard as red oak. It seems to be very stringy, and it's easy to split off big pieces if you try to chisel out too much at a time.

I ended up letting my son practice chiseling hinge mortises in a couple pieces of the stuff because I don't like the wood enough to pull all the staples out of it.

I'm just wondering what it might be. I realize I won't get a definitive answer. Especially without pictures.

Reply to
Silvan

Rough Guess, except for the Coral pink that you described it could be Ramin

Used a lot for carved mouldings George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Percentage gamble would be Tasmanian oak (aka Mountain ash), which is a blanket term for some three eucalypt species.

However, it could be anything (except oak), especially if from the Far East. PvR

Silvan schreef

thought maybe someone would know.

grain structure reminds me of ash

as hard as red oak. It seems to be very stringy, and it's easy to split off

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

My guess is that it is Meranti. Comes from Indonesia. It is a bit stingy and hard to chisel. You find a lot of doors made of it here.

Reply to
OzSawdust

No idea. But IIRC, you're in the Blackburg/Christiansburg area, right? Ran into one of the guys from Woodcraft and discovered y'all will have a new place to shop come next year. I forget the exact dates, but Roanoke is going to be the site of a new Woodcraft store, one of their new small market stores. This will be a corporate-owned store. Next up appears to be my old, and favorite, small city, Albany, NY (not to knock Roanoke: I wish to hell I'd never left that area, and hope to soon be back).

Charlie Self

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Cool! May as well see some benefit from the urbanization of this area. We have big city traffic jams, so we should get some big city stores.

Now all I need is a car I trust to drive all the way to Roanoke. :(

I don't go further than I'm willing to walk. One car is 17 years old, and the other one has a blown head gasket. It's a good thing work is only six miles away. Two if I make arrangements with some property owners in between.

I can probably borrow Dad's van for the odd pilgrimage though. SWMBO would love to get to see the big city again. We haven't been since the head gasket started leaking.

Reply to
Silvan