what wood do you prefer?

Page 2 of 2

Were you the fellow who asked about the hamburger sandwich last week?

machineability,
what
Well, for the purpose of " ooooaaaah " Widgee, followed by Gidgee. VERY beautiful for fine work, boxes, even made some filing trays out of it. Very very pretty wood and works well.
Mike

In dark woods, I like Mahogany, and Walnut, in that order. In light woods, Maple, birch, ash. Redwood for some (mostly outdoor) stuff.
Personally, I'm underwhelmed by oak, pine (and cousins), and cherry.
If only one wood was available, life would be damn depressing. I'd be like an artist being asked which color/brush would he pick for the rest of his life(that'd be the last straw before downing the bottle of sleeping pills).
I really like honey-locust. It's harder than oak, has beautiful figure and color, and is available here in ohiya almost anywhere you go.
See for yourself:
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1157.JPG
That said, I would probably shoot myself after the 10th project.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

Walnut or koa. Teak, mahogany and the rosewoods are nice too.
What it *wouldn't* be is oak. Now, I like oak - especially white - for its features but I roundly dislike its appearance...too coarse.
While everyone likes the "walnut" look, my favorite is oak or ash.. that light, clear or blond look with the straight grain just sort of calls to me..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Wormy chestnut, although not the easiest thing to find. --dave

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Everything else aside, it'd be rosewood I think. In terms of woods I can actually obtain, it has to be walnut hands down.
Mahogany. Works extremely easily with sharp hand tools (pares beautifullly!) and/or sharp power tools, looks wonderful and warm when finished - truly The King of Woods. Must've been a joy to work with Cuban mahogany.
charlie b (who, as a kid, could buy a dugout canoe (actually called a cayuco) in mahogany for a buck a foot. That's 20-22" wide, 14 - 18 inches deep - with 3/4 inch hull thickness. Was great growing up in the Panama Canal Zone - now just Panama. They made houses out of mahogany!)