what wood do you prefer?

In dark woods, I like Mahogany, and Walnut, in that order. In light woods, Maple, birch, ash. Redwood for some (mostly outdoor) stuff.

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by oak, pine (and cousins), and cherry.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I will settle for wood under $5 BF. I probably use less cherry for that reason, working with more oak and maple now, sometimes pine. I wil use more expensive wood for smaller projects. Recently I built some kitchen woodenware from some applewood.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cherry. And I usually get it for under $3/BF...

If I had to settle for one species, that'd be it. I like to look and I like how it works and finishes.

I just don't like oak, especially red oak. Maple doesn't suck, nor do ash or persimmon. I'm not into exotics...

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

If only one wood was available, life would be damn depressing. I'd be like an artist being asked which color/brush would he pick for the rest of his life(that'd be the last straw before downing the bottle of sleeping pills).

I really like honey-locust. It's harder than oak, has beautiful figure and color, and is available here in ohiya almost anywhere you go.

See for yourself:

said, I would probably shoot myself after the 10th project.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Walnut or koa. Teak, mahogany and the rosewoods are nice too.

What it *wouldn't* be is oak. Now, I like oak - especially white - for its features but I roundly dislike its appearance...too coarse.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

While everyone likes the "walnut" look, my favorite is oak or ash.. that light, clear or blond look with the straight grain just sort of calls to me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Wormy chestnut, although not the easiest thing to find. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Everything else aside, it'd be rosewood I think. In terms of woods I can actually obtain, it has to be walnut hands down.

Reply to
Silvan

Mahogany. Works extremely easily with sharp hand tools (pares beautifullly!) and/or sharp power tools, looks wonderful and warm when finished - truly The King of Woods. Must've been a joy to work with Cuban mahogany.

charlie b (who, as a kid, could buy a dugout canoe (actually called a cayuco) in mahogany for a buck a foot. That's 20-22" wide, 14 - 18 inches deep - with 3/4 inch hull thickness. Was great growing up in the Panama Canal Zone - now just Panama. They made houses out of mahogany!)

Reply to
charlie b