What was the BEST tip you learned here at the Wreck?

Page 1 of 3
For me it was this one:
A tip I learned here, and one of the most wonderful timesavers EVAR. Shoot your nails, say when installing baseboard or window trim, through a piece of masking tape. Then apply the filler. Then remove tape. Minimal sanding. I now do a few face-frames that way too... forget about bicuits and pocketscrews... (Only applies when painting afterwards, of course.)
I wish I could remember who posted that tip...but thank you!

dont eat yellow snow
What the Heck does the masking tape do?
HotRod wrote:

Keeps the filler from getting all over the wood.
You have to sand a dot of filler that's maybe 1/16" instead of a square inch of wood-filler smeared wood.
-Nathan
P.S. I saw this tip in this month's Family Handyman if you're still unsure how it works.

That is a reason but the primary reason is to keep the putty/filler out of the surrounding grain. Putty in the grain is very hard to remove with out sanding a divot in the wood.

HotRod wrote:

Keeps the filler from getting all over the wood.
You have to sand a dot of filler that's maybe 1/16" instead of a square inch of wood-filler smeared wood.
-Nathan
P.S. I saw this tip in this month's Family Handyman if you're still unsure how it works.
Robatoy wrote:

It was Leon http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/7511f43424b5a076/b1052829089ce0e6?lnk=gst&q=masking+tape+nail&rnum=1#b1052829089ce0e6
and the rationale is that your filler doesn't end up in the pores of the surrounding wood.
Using sandpaper to sharpen chisels and irons.
Hot gluing those new skinny CD cases back to back so you can label the edge and still use the old CD holders.
When pulling apart a joint during dry fitting make sure what stops the piece is not your chin. It's just a shame I can't seem to follow it.
-Leuf

Don't look down or you might get a bloody nose! :-)
Puckdropper

Leuf wrote:

Or farther up your face
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/OOPS/OOPS1.html
charlie b also see caveat re: mortising chisel stuck in a mortise.
Buy ONCE - cry ONCE.
It's so easy to buy an "inexpensive" tool and "making do with it". It's like using a dull tool - more effort, more aggravation, more time, and often not even an acceptable result - to say nothing of the often associated injuries.
I think it was Walt Akers who wrote an article about the fact that all power tools cost at least $1,100. You can buy a $400 model, add another $400 in "uprgrades" over the next few years, screw up a couple of hundred dollars worth of wood and another hundred or two in wasted time and frustration. OR, you could get the $1,100 unit first and spend the time you save using the wood you saved - to actually make things.
charlie b

I needed to get a quick primer on purchasing, proper preparation and use of hide glue to fix that kids bass. Got all the info I needed here

www.leevalley.com
Frank Boettcher wrote:

You used hide glue in your kid's ass???
Guess it's one way to keep him home...
Don't remember who first posted this but I use it every time I begin a session in my shop. Before doing anything, I put 10 things back in their proper place. Sandpaper, drill bits, pencils, whatever
4ax.com:

That one was a real life changer for me, too. Particularly if my son has been in my shop since I last was working.
Now I can find most stuff pretty quickly.
Patriarch

I haven't had much chance to be out in the shop for a while now, but about a week ago, I went out there and my workbench was full of junk, tools, pencils, etc. I know I put all of that away the last time I was out there, I never leave the shop without putting everything away.
I think my tools are migrating for the winter.