what type of Dado blade is recommened for a craftsman?

Don't listen to that stuff about 'Crapsman'. He's probably not seen the new line or just has a hangup from the crap they put out in the past. They aren't Unisaws, but the new Craftsman saws are quite nice and are comparable in every aspect to other saws in the same 'contractor' saw price range.

I am by no means an expert, but as for the dado issue: I have the 22114 and the Freud Diablo stacked blade I got at HD on sale for 79.00 or so a while back. I make 3/4" wide dadoes just fine. IIRC for 3/4" they use all but one of the chippers and two of the small shims so its pretty thick. I can still get the arbor washer on and manage enough turns of the nut to feel confident it was secure. I don't know how thick the center of the wobble dado cutter you have is but it may be that its just too big. Maybe the body of your dado cutter fulfills the role of the washer and its not needed? Check the documentation that came with it. But most of all go by this mantra...

IF YOU DON'T FEEL SAFE DOING SOMETHING, DON'T DO IT!!!!! Buy a new dado set that fits and make more small passes. No need to get yourself hurt or worse gambling that something is safe when it may not be.

Mike W.

bdeditch wrote:

Reply to
Mike W.

Since I own eight routers, I went beyond that justification years ago.

I have to disagree with a router being faster and better, particularly when doing production work. Every once in a while there is a situation where the router is called for, but in general the tried and true method is best, every time. If we take four pieces of wood, each requiring eight dados, I can have them cut and go for coffee in the time it will take to just do the layout for cutting them with a router.

Toy box? Yours, maybe. Mine is a place of work.

Reply to
LP

When you consider the set up time, the time to change over the blades, etc. I doubt that the dado blade comes out enormously faster. I'll bet you... ummmmm.... something, that I can stick a bit in my router, set the depth, and throw a guide on the workpiece (assuming I don't just use my table and simply set the fence), and proceed to plow a dado faster than you can accomplish the same with your table saw. And... when I'm done, I don't have to change the blade over again, so I'm off to cutting the next piece while you're changing your saw over.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How so, if you have to change over the saw? Once I put the bit in my router and set the depth of cut, all I have to do is set my fence for the proper spacing. You'd have to set your fence on a table saw as well. Now - I can agree that the saw will cut faster than the router and for a production shop that's certainly important, especially if you're doing a run on a particular piece, but for most folks in this group, we're not doing production work. I'd guess that it's more typical that we have to cut dados on a more occasional basis, and typically not 8 per piece. Most folks here would have to go through the complete change over process of the saw and that doesn't happen in less time than it takes to chuck a bit in a router.

Picky, picky, picky. Mine is not a place of work. That's why I hang out in a usenet newsgroup that is in the "rec" family.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Agreed. I think everyone can see who's showing ignorance here... A guy asks about a Dado set and has his TS shredded.

In any case, in my previous post I mentioned a Freud Diable dado set and I was incorrect. Its just a Freud Dado set... it doesn't say Diablo anywhere on it. I just ran some 3/4" dado's on some 3/4" oak ply and they came out beautifully.

I would recommend getting the Forrest WoodWorker II thin kerf blade, though. I got one a few projects after I got the saw and the difference is amazing.

Mike W.

Stephen M wrote:

Reply to
Mike W.

Yep! I have a Delta TS, my neighbor has an old Craftsman TS with a Biesmeyer fence. He does better work than I with his "crappy" saw! In reality it is a pretty nice saw. He got it for free, and has tuned it up really well. New fence, and later a new motor when the 30+ year old original burned out. I have used it myself and it compares equally with a $1000 Delta contractors saw. Can't complain as he has less than $400 in it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Rob, if you look in your owners manual its states that you can just use the nut to hold your Dado blade in if its to much for the arbor.

Rob wrote:

a stacked dado set, I can just get to 3/4" with the outside washer. Might get to 7/8" now (if I need it).

Reply to
bdeditch