what type of Dado blade is recommened for a craftsman?

Page 2 of 2

It seems to me that you are showing your ignorance, of that particular tool. The prevailing opinion is that those recent C-man saws are real legitimate contenders at that price point. I used to own a C-man saw; it was not the greatest but it could me made to produce some decent work. You're being elitest.

The guy as asked for dado blade help and you told him to buy a new saw. What's your point? And to be specific, I suggested a different *type* of dado, not a different quality.

Dude, choose a smaller raker and use the shims? Stock thickness is seldom exact. That's what the shims are for.

Ok, so we'll put you in the camp of folks who think that it's worth it to pay more for a decent dado set.
-Steve
Agreed. I think everyone can see who's showing ignorance here... A guy asks about a Dado set and has his TS shredded.
In any case, in my previous post I mentioned a Freud Diable dado set and I was incorrect. Its just a Freud Dado set... it doesn't say Diablo anywhere on it. I just ran some 3/4" dado's <nominally> on some 3/4" oak ply and they came out beautifully.
I would recommend getting the Forrest WoodWorker II thin kerf blade, though. I got one a few projects after I got the saw and the difference is amazing.
Mike W.
Stephen M wrote:

fence. He does better work than I with his "crappy" saw! In reality it is a pretty nice saw. He got it for free, and has tuned it up really well. New fence, and later a new motor when the 30+ year old original burned out. I have used it myself and it compares equally with a $1000 Delta contractors saw. Can't complain as he has less than $400 in it! Greg
Bugs wrote:

There's no problem with the mandrel capacity on that saw.
I use my Forrest set on it all the time at full capacity.
And FWIW, it is perfectly acceptable to run a dado set without the outside blade washer.
Gus
When grilled further on (23 Dec 2005 09:09:36 -0800),

Thanks for that clear, concise answer. I have a Craftsman saw also, and with a stacked dado set, I can just get to 3/4" with the outside washer. Might get to 7/8" now (if I need it).
Cheers, Rob
Rob, if you look in your owners manual its states that you can just use the nut to hold your Dado blade in if its to much for the arbor.
Rob wrote:

a stacked dado set, I can just get to 3/4" with the outside washer. Might get to 7/8" now (if I need it).

Don't listen to that stuff about 'Crapsman'. He's probably not seen the new line or just has a hangup from the crap they put out in the past. They aren't Unisaws, but the new Craftsman saws are quite nice and are comparable in every aspect to other saws in the same 'contractor' saw price range.
I am by no means an expert, but as for the dado issue: I have the 22114 and the Freud Diablo stacked blade I got at HD on sale for 79.00 or so a while back. I make 3/4" wide dadoes just fine. IIRC for 3/4" they use all but one of the chippers and two of the small shims so its pretty thick. I can still get the arbor washer on and manage enough turns of the nut to feel confident it was secure. I don't know how thick the center of the wobble dado cutter you have is but it may be that its just too big. Maybe the body of your dado cutter fulfills the role of the washer and its not needed? Check the documentation that came with it. But most of all go by this mantra...
IF YOU DON'T FEEL SAFE DOING SOMETHING, DON'T DO IT!!!!! Buy a new dado set that fits and make more small passes. No need to get yourself hurt or worse gambling that something is safe when it may not be.
Mike W.