What tree is this?

Sorry I am a novice here - what tree is it in NJ (it seems to be very common) where the bark is deep and brown like oak at the bottom, with a transition to a smooth, light, distinct gray around half way up to the top?

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

Maybe post a picture of it in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

Very mature sycamores might look that way, though the transition to gray goes through mottling, scaling bark and some shades of green and white in the bark. Are they found mostly along rivers, ponds, etc.?

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maple? Poplar (cottonwood)?

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

No they are in regular forest areas. They are quite distinct, and I am learning to recognize trees now but its still winter so its hard! Its not sycamore though, I know that.

Thanks for the binaries mention, I didn't even know there was such a place to post pics!

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

Not maple - maples don't change color going up like that.

Reply to
deanbrown3d

Nor do cottonwoods...and while not knowledgeable about NJ, I've seen few, if any, cottonwoods east of the Mississippi--at least what we know as cottonwood.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Memory could be failing me and I haven't lived back east in more than 15 years, but I do seem to remember maples going from rugged bark at the bottom to smooth greyish on the limbs and upper trunk.

Eastern Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) Very rugged deeply furrowed bark at the bottom, going to smooth greenish grey. Again, IIRC.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Hmmm...don't know it. Mayhaps that's one of the ones there I didn't know. Since it isn't a "wood" tree at all, I've never looked at it much so don't even no the botannical name for the ones we have here. Nice, attractive tree in a place where trees are few and far between, though. I'll have to go look it up.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth