What Tool(s) To Use To Crush Ice Cubes Fast

Page 1 of 2
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey, British Columbia
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey, British Columbia
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:57:57 -0700 (PDT), RadioDays

Take one thick rubber glove, one metric ton of ice cubes, one largeasss bucket, and a simple stainless steel tablespoon.
Pick up one ice cube, rap soundly with the rounded portion of the tablespoon, dump in bucket. Rinse, repeat until you can find some other idiot to take over for you.
-- When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. -- Whoopi Goldberg
On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:25:04 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

The long arm of an iced-tea spoon gives a better mechanical advantage. Fast-moving light impactor gets you to cracked ice with minimum energy input, as long as the ice cube is cold and brittle.
You can also get an ice shaver, lots of 'em on the market for slush drinks (or juleps for the grownups) - it's just a bucket with a plane-like knife blade on the bottom and a cranked wheel of icespikes on top.

The ice scraper has been around a long time.... used for making snow cones (as I recall) and the like, as you noted.
A snow cone machine is similar. The inside scrapers are blades, about 2" long, mounted each side of a disc, similar to looking at the bottom of a hand planer. Load the ice in one end and a plunger is used to push the ice through the shaving disc, which is spun by a motor.
Sonny

He wants smaller cubes, crushed ice, totally different from shaved iced/snow.
On 9/14/2011 1:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Installed a dedicated $2k shaved ice maker in a recent kitchen remodel.
I would say wretched excess, but I want one too.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yabbut.....for a righteous single malt? I am sooo lucky to have a friend who has the financial wherewithal and curiousity to be buying some outrageous scotch at prices which would give anybody with a Dutch heart a coronary. He hates to drink alone...God bless him.... A few drops of mineral water to awake a single malt is de rigueur.
I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that shit.
But ICE??????? For a soda, who cares. To plunge your pecker in after round 5..okay. But, like Jackie Gleason said after the bartender asked if he wanted ice in his drink: "I am here to drink, not to skate."
On 9/14/2011 3:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

As long as it's a single malt, and one word: Laphroaig
Too bad you can't buy the 15 year old any longer. That was my favorite Scotch.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Laphroaig? Really? Last time I had some it tasted like drinking liquid smoke - mixed with rock salt. Glenlivet 21 when I'm feeling flush... Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr or Redbreast Irish Potstill 12 yr for daily consumption.
My opinion.
D'ohBoy

Ahhh, <eyes glaze over> beautiful stuff but Ardbeg is nice too.

well you can - at a price - around 100 quid the last time I looked.
--
Stuart Winsor

Yabbut, what does she loo...oops, never mind.
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
Robatoy wrote:
Yabbut.....for a righteous single malt? I am sooo lucky to have a friend who has the financial wherewithal and curiousity to be buying some outrageous scotch at prices which would give anybody with a Dutch heart a coronary. He hates to drink alone...God bless him.... A few drops of mineral water to awake a single malt is de rigueur.
I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that shit.
But ICE??????? For a soda, who cares. To plunge your pecker in after round 5..okay. But, like Jackie Gleason said after the bartender asked if he wanted ice in his drink: "I am here to drink, not to skate." ------------------------------- The scotch doesn't exist that can't be improved with a splash of drambuie.
Lew
On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:53:06 PM UTC-7, Robatoy wrote:

You Scotch drinkers are all missing something: at the right temperature, a mint leaf can do amazing things to a simple oak-flavored Bourbon.
Besides, Bourbon is domestic, I can afford it. Ditto mint. For a good Scotch, all I can afford is the splash of branch water...
On 9/13/2011 6:57 PM, RadioDays wrote:

dad used to use a gunny sack and the broad side of a three pound mallet to crush ice for the ice cream freezer. Froze the blocks ourselves by filling paper milk cartons, then all you had to do is put the cartons in the bag, and pound away!
--
Steve Barker

The father of a friend of mine was out on the sidewalk with a gunny sack (burlap bag) with a block of ice in it. He was swinging it back and forth against the sidewalk when a car went by. He said loudly,"God damn kittens!" Kerry

You owe me a new keyboard... ROTFLMAO!

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Where I grew up, any cat more 1/4 mile from a barn was shot on the spot.
No self respecting cat is going to walk away from a bowl of fresh milk morning and night and a diet of fresh killed mice.
Lew
<...snipped...>

If it was a tomcat, a hike of a mile or 2 would not be unusual to get to the nearest female in heat.
On 9/15/2011 5:55 PM, Larry W wrote:

Not just limited to tom cats. Half-way 'round the world in some cases.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010