What tool do you have that is "too dumb to die"? -- Thanks George

The "too dumb to die" idea was from an earlier post from George Kazaka.

What power tool do you have that will not die?

I have a Black & Decker 12V drill that will not die. I bought it used with a charger and 2 batteries. Built two shops with OSB walls and deck screws. Screwed metal roofs on the same. Drilled, dropped, kicked and left in the rain.

SWMBO bought me a Dewalt 18V set. Still grab the B&D for light jobs simply due to weight. SWMBO always asks me why?

B&D you gotta die.........

Reply to
rllipham

A few stories:

First, I have a 3/8" single speed single direction drill that my grandfather owned. He got it from a demo at Sears (back when they did demos at Sears) - the guy had been drilling with that drill all day, then my grandfather used it forever, now I use it (when appropriate; I have a collection of drills now).

Second, I dropped my PC690 down two stories onto a concrete slab while we were building our house. Chipped the bit that was in it, chipped the base, the motor sticks in the housing a bit now (plunge base, so it doesn't matter), but otherwise it still works fine.

Third, my favorite... I still have the pine toolbox I build in boy scouts about 20 years ago. It's been through pretty much everything, including college, many moves, many projects, many car trips, and a basement flooding a few weeks ago.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

A 32 year old B&D jigsaw bought when I was 13. Real POS, accuracy wise, but it won't die...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I fully understand about drills that last forever. Darn near broke my wrist with a 1/2" metal cased drill I inherited from My grandpa. The thing is still going strong, only about 300 rpm, but will not stop.

Clif

Reply to
Clif

I have a 7" Power House circular saw and Drill made by McGraw Edison. They are both made out of Stainless Steel??? I think, because they have not rusted and are shiny and mettalic. LOL

I purchased them 10 years ago along with some old hand tools from an old widow for $25. Does anyone know anything about them? how old are they?

These things are Heavyyyyyyy.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

Funny. I have a B&D Pro Palm sander, perhaps the oldest power tool in the shop, that keeps on going after 15 years. Last year I bought a PC ROS QuickSand 333 and had problems with the dust canister falling off, but customer support sent me a replacement. The B&D palm sander is truly a fine power tool, but they (B&D) don't make them like this anymore.

Reply to
Phisherman

An El Cheapo benchtop drill press.

I've beat the heck out of it, I'd love to get a "real" floorstanding drill press, but can't justify the expense as a long as I can get by with this thing.

I think I need a power tool "hit man".

Mike

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Two actually- both from my father. A Sears Craftsman circular saw from early 50's, complete with case, and replacement blades. It still works perfectly except for the weight and the single-almost-insulation of an old 3-prong cord. The other is a well-worn "pad" sander, also Craftsamn I think, same vintage.

Then there's the hand tools, dovetail jig, and best of all- a copy of Machinerys Handbook from 1949, one of his college texts, tucked into his toolchest.

Reply to
Victor Radin

I have a total POS B&D 1/3 sheet orbital sander. The kind with the fiber pad on the bottom. (Notice I said "orbital." It's not a ROS.)

I can't begin to relate the number of times I've attempted to kill this thing. The pad is rounded over and gouged, the clamps are bent, the orange rubber switch cover is dry rotted... It's a complete POS, but it will not die.

The first power tool I ever bought, now that I think about it. It's original purpose in life was shaping Bondo fenders.

Reply to
Silvan

Can it swim? Maybe a dead goldfish detector?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Despite my best efforts to kill it, an old POS B&D router of mine still turns on every time the trigger is squeezed. I regret it just about every time, too. I think it has a Craftsman-clone "depth randomizer" collet -- you know, the kind that encourages the bit to climb out of the collet and ever deeper into the work as you go. My wife keeps telling me to sell it, but I have too much respect for my fellow man.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Reply to
Dan Parrell

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:05:37 -0500, Mike Patterson brought forth from the murky depths:

Advertise it for sale in the newspaper and once it's sold, you'll have ample reason to go buy a new one.

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have an old 1/2 " Skil three-prong drill that I inherited from my old man. It's never had the third prong in my living memory, and it has been abused. I used it for disc-sanding bondo on a '68 Mustang back in the mid-seventies -- the car was mostly bondo.

Several years back I had the mortar-mixing attachment chucked in it while preparing thin-set for a bathroom floor. I accidental-like hit the "hold" button, the mixer hit a big dry lump, wrenched the tool from my grip (nearly spraining a wrist), and hit high speed, twirling itself around until the cord wrapped itself so tight it unplugged itself -- leaving some nice black rubber marks on a newly plastered wall. I threw out the mix, split the ice bucket 50-50 between my wrist and a bottle of Bushmills, and hit the easy chair.

I'd like to kill that dril, but it's still going.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Possibly the same one I have. 28 years and counting, and I blew $14.95 on it at the time because I couldn't wait for it to go on sale.

Matches up with the Montgomery Ward (B&D) circular sqaw. That one cost $29.95 and has had about 150 new blades over the years. Haven't even replaced brushes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

The first power tool I ever owned. A Craftsman Type III 3/8" reversible drill that I bought at Sears when I was about 13 years old. That makes the drill 36 years old. I think I paid something like 30 bucks for that drill. It still runs, losing power, but it won't die. I get it out every once in a while for old times sake.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Now see? That's why I hang around here, so smart fellas like you can hit me with a clue stick once in a while... thanks.

That's just what I'll do.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Might be the same one. I paid about $15 for it. It still works, but doesn't hold the blade angle accurately anymore (if it ever did).

Actually, I have another 'tool' I WISH would die, A 1961 Crapsman pad sander with an all metal case. Useless as a sander, the pad is ragged out, and it gets too hot to hold in about 10 minutes. I even bolted the pad to a board and used it to vibrate concrete forms last year, but it just won't die!

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Heh, if the goldfish aren't dead, they will be after I detect'em. :)

(Incidentally, at least one of the goldfish is still alive after all that Oxy-Clean. The water has been flushed twice, but it's still sudsy. The lone fish comes to the surface once in awhile. Maybe s/he has kin hiding below.)

Reply to
Silvan

Over 25 years ago I paid $5 for a used circular saw marked "Skil Shop" at a yard sale. This thing is a dull orange color, sidewinder, all metal construction. I did install a new on-off switch maybe 15 years ago and I seem to recall replacing the arbor bolt as well. I've used it for every type of job including using masonry blades to cut concrete and cutting out a section of built-up roof on a

150 year old row house that had several layers of mineral roll roofing on top of standing-seam steel on top of cedar shakes. Built a few decks with it and any number of homeowner type projects. I've often had the desire to buy a good quality PC or Dewalt but can't justify it to myself as long as that old thing still runs.
Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman