What to with all those old blades?

Thanks. It is poplar with a red water based stain. Then sealed.
It only lasted a couple of years. I need to make a new one, this time out of cedar.

All I can say RE: your shop photography is "lens pen". <g> <http://cgi.ebay.com/Sima-Lens-Pen-New-in-Package_W0QQitemZ7558878020QQcategoryZ43479QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or http://www.lenspen.com / or <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
They're really, really handy. (Somebody tell David Eisen and Phully about these, too. They haven't listened to me.) <vbg>
That bird's eye maple table for you mom is beautiful. Well done.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

I gotta say I NEVER do any thing to a ripped edge before gluing it.

A dull jointer can leave a glaze on the surface of the edge which a saw blade won't. I know that hard maple can glaze to the point where a drop of water will bead. I found that the use of freshly sharpened blades reduces glazing. A sawn edge seems to take glue better. It is a highly subjective observation and I have never tested relative joint strengths.
John T wrote:

HD carries Freud blades.

There's a difference though in the Freud blades available. The ones at HD are contractor/consumer, thin-kerf, low cost "Diablo" & TK blades. The only Freud blades I buy are the Industrial models (F, LM & LU models). These blades have larger carbide teeth and generally full-kerf, thicker plates. While the HD blades are in the $20-30 range, the Industrial line runs $60-80 and are worth the price if you're after a long-lasting quality blade that can be resharpened a number of times.
Just my 2 cents and bias.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

For this newsgroup, shouldn't you change the name to "Owin' Lowes"? Or is that 12,423,607th time you've heard it?
Jerry S. wrote:

if Lowe's can see it's way clear to opening a store closer than the 2 stores 24 miles from my house (in opposite directions), I'll be more than happy to "owe Lowe's". I prefer them to our local HD's.
Dave

Honestly, that's a new one - never heard it before.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
The last Freud blade (Industrial) I bought was at Home Depot. Varies from store to store, I guess.
wrote:

05

Ah, I hadn't noticed them - thanks for clarifying my comments.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
I cut them up and make knives, scrapers, honing plates and other things from them. max

I stock up on blades whenever I find it on sale, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Lowe's, local tool store or wherever. I have blades anywhere from under $10 to your $70 price range. I do laminate and recycle wood and when you hit one nail with your expensive blade it will perform no better than when I hit one nail with my cheap blade. Anyway those cheap blades are either M2 or C2 carbide tipped so it really doesn't cut all that bad and many are cheaper to replace than reshapren. Before I change out my blade I cut concrete boards for kitchen or bathroom counter tops, something I don't think you want to do with your precious CMT blade. Different strokes for different folks.

I throw them around on the beach...yannow...like a Frisbee?
For some reason, nobody ever wants to play with me.
Jack wrote:

Think "Scrapers".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

It was touched on but not hit very hard to my surprise. Old saw blades are a resource for knife- and toolmakers, especially for beginners. That's why I save mine, which I will get around to using if, according to my plans, I live to be a thousand.

Great idea, thanks. Occasionally I do have a need for some good steel and I bet a saw blade has it.
LDR wrote:

LOL! Your project schedule sounds like mine. Somebody's gonna' really make out at my estate sale :-).
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It will take two generations of estate sales to clean out my shop. I am one major pack rat. Least that is what the wife says!! LOL
Great idea. I've got a small stack of semi-ancient pre-carbide era circ blades sitting around somewhere generating rust, no doubt. I need to shore up Tunnel Three this weekend anyway, so will look for them while I'm down there.