What to use as a non-skid material on a circular saw guide? Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2

I found the following post on a forum in the UK at http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/clampless-circular-saw-guide-t16979.html
I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the non-skid effect. As pointed out in other posts in this thread, the Carroll site is not working. ==================== After recently using a Festo saw and guide at work I must admit I was quite taken with the way the guide had rubber strips stuck to the underside so it could be used without clamps, really neat idea. Messing about in my workshop later with some homemade guides made of mdf with a batten routed down the center i was wondering what i could use for the same effect and rummaging around i came across some self adhesive foam tape that is sold by Carroll tools for their range of drum sanders. it is 75mm wide so I split it into 3 strips and fixed it to the underside of the guides. Crikey it really grips, immovable in fact yet you can just pick it up and move it. It costs £1.50 a metre and obviously you can make your guides to suit whatever without any massive outlay. ==================== I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is. http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?number=120560
Add pictures here
✖
I found the following post on a forum in the UK at http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/clampless-circular-saw-guide-t16979.html
I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the non-skid effect. As pointed out in other posts in this thread, the Carroll site is not working. ===================After recently using a Festo saw and guide at work I must admit I was quite taken with the way the guide had rubber strips stuck to the underside so it could be used without clamps, really neat idea. Messing about in my workshop later with some homemade guides made of mdf with a batten routed down the center i was wondering what i could use for the same effect and rummaging around i came across some self adhesive foam tape that is sold by Carroll tools for their range of drum sanders. it is 75mm wide so I split it into 3 strips and fixed it to the underside of the guides. Crikey it really grips, immovable in fact yet you can just pick it up and move it. It costs £1.50 a metre and obviously you can make your guides to suit whatever without any massive outlay. ===================I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is. http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?number 0560
What about the non-skid stuff sold for lining shelves and drawers? Also used as an aid to opening jars.
Add pictures here
✖

Good stuff I use that stuff to protect the bumper of the car if I happen to be putting something in the boot same colour as the car and looking flat to someone behind me, it can't be noticed costs about 50 cents.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the idea. Where is it sold?
Add pictures here
✖
[...]
The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable. Buy the replacements from Festool.
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/guide-rails/splinterguards/nonskid-strip-485724.html
Add pictures here
✖
> The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable.  Buy the

And only $60 per inch.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:39:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.
Add pictures here
✖
Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice.
Add pictures here
✖

Also ... I had/have a roll or two of this stuff ...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/grip-it-shelf-liner-taupe/37088
Left over from when I had an RV.
It does a GREAT job for what you describe. I also use it for sanding and hand-held router use.
Because it's so porous, it's just a simple "shake clean," to get the sawdust out.
Cheap, too !
Add pictures here
✖

Also ... I had/have a roll or two of this stuff ...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/grip-it-shelf-liner-taupe/37088
Left over from when I had an RV.
It does a GREAT job for what you describe. I also use it for sanding and hand-held router use.
Because it's so porous, it's just a simple "shake clean," to get the sawdust out.
Cheap, too !
That's the stuff! Plop it on the bench, drop the work on it and rout/sand away!
Add pictures here
✖

I agree, it works great. I've been able to find it at the dollar store.
Add pictures here
✖

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this item.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:30:35 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Your original link didn't go to the exact product page but after a little digging around ended up at this page:
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/guide-rails/splinterguards/nonskid-strip-485724.html
and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out to, well, you know...
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/17/10 9:43 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/guide-rails/splinterguards/nonskid-strip-485724.html
I'm fairly certain he was just making a joke pertaining to how expensive Festool stuff is.
--

-MIKE-

✖

It ain't no joke! :-(
Max (Festool owner)
Add pictures here
✖

That Zippy foam stuff is usually available in the kids' crafts aisle at your neighborhood Target, Walmart*, or similar retailer.
The shelf liner stuff is in housewears, with the cleaning products/tools.
Or if you want you can call it Router Mat, and pay Woodcraft's/Rockler's prices. Sears sells it as liners for their toolboxes (or is the plural "toolboxen"?).
Happy shopping!
Add pictures here
✖
Shelf liner comes in colors :-)
Box is black.
Router Mat is buff tan.
I like colors.
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 9/17/2010 10:42 PM, Steve wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

If you're talking about the face of the miter gauge, I've always used a ~100-120 grit wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to on and pared to shape. I would think that 1/8" foam might tend to compress unevenly under load and through it off the square.
Ken
Add pictures here
✖

Black cloth friction tape.
Add pictures here
✖

That would work, but you risk leaving behind black marks on the wood. (I'm sure it depends on the friction tape.) Plus it would probably lose some of its effectiveness after getting some sawdust on it.
Puckdropper

✖