What to look for in an air nailer?

I'm in the planning stage of our living room upgrade, which will continue into the dining room and hallway. I'll be installing; crown modling and built-in bookself/cabinets for sure. We are also kicking around the idea of wainscotting. A relative of my is offering me an 20 gal 4 HP air compressor for next to nothing. Now all I need is a nailer to go with it. For the above job I'm figuring I'll need something that will be able drive upto a 2-1/2" finish nail.
What are the essential feature for a nailer? I've seen things like;
3/4" to 2-1/2" vs 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" nail size Depth-of-drive adjuster ajustable exahust straight vs angled nailer oil and oiless etc.
Are the any nailers to stay away from?
Thanks in advance, Ed
Look in the latest issue of AW for their reviews of nailers...
Bob S.
On 1 Aug 2003 08:05:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Echo) wrote:

Senco says it all. george
Senco if you have money. Porter-Cable is solid and fairly cheap. Also Paslode, Bostich. So you have Paslode, Senco, Bostich and Porter-Cable to choose from. (Bet I catch some flack over this!!)

You're looking at a 16 g nailer. You could consider a 15 g nailer...but consider the ammo is 3 times the cost. Don't spend too much time comparing nit-picky features. Doubtful you'll even use them. If the gun is not brand name, make sure it has full safety features. (I have one that doesn't and a hair trigger to boot - I treat like a loaded .44 magnum with an attitude!) I haven't seen any air tool that didn't require oil. If I saw "oilless" on an advertisement, I'd be suspicious. The brands the others have mentioned are all tried and true. You might consider an angled nailer which is more easily used in corners. Mark from Pasadena, MD
snipped-for-privacy@home.net wrote:

For the applications you are describing, getting an angled nailer will be a good idea. It makes getting tight into corners a lot easier. I'm not sure I've ever seen an "oiless" air nailer - all the ones I've used suggest putting several drops of oil in the air inlet to guard against any moisture from the compressor. Adjustable exhaust is good, too.
I have a porter-cable 16 gauge brad nailer which is great and a 23 gauge senco pin nailer which is also wonderful. I also got an 18 gauge harbor freight special, which isn't too bad for the $25 it cost, but you can definitely tell the difference. Other brands to consider are hitachi and bostitch, but probably others.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Most all of them do, probably all. I think Mark has not looked around much.
Charlie Self
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." George W. Bush, Greater Nashua,N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000
Ditto! Senco Finishpro25. Best thing around! Check it out.