What to fill knot holes with?

Page 2 of 2

Epoxy is a pig to sand. Epoxy filled with the right filler (microballoons) is easy to either sand or scrape. Epoxy with the wrong filler (silica) is indestructible.

I did that once because I needed a lot of epoxy glue and had a gallon of laminating epoxy, a sander full of wood dust, and no commercial filler. Filled with wood dust glued very well, but I never tried to sand it.
Toller wrote:

IMHO, biggest single waste of epoxy and time is to use any wood fiber based filler.
Wood flour, saw dust, what ever wood product you pick, there are all a waste of good epoxy.
Lew
Toller wrote:

Yes. Also polyester resin and white glue. ____________

Sands OK. Keep in mind that I only use enough to keep chips/saw dust/sand dust together. I rarely use varnish, prefer lacquer but either are fine with it. _____________

Well, it doesn't self destruct. Biggest trouble with glue is drying time and shrinkage. For something like your knot I'd probably fill all but 1/8" or so with resin, let it cure then finish with a wood & glue mix. Or just use wood parts in the resin. I prefer the appearance of repairs like this when mixed with glue because the resin really wets it out and it winds up quite dark unless it is light colored wood in which case it winds up yellow. _______________

You are filling a hole in the back of something. Get to it and quit obsessing... :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________

(I'm posting this way just say Larry won't pick on me about my top-posting habit....;-)
Toller,
Lots of good info from others but no mention of using artists acrylics. I've used black and ocra mixed together with epoxy and you only need enough mixed in with the epoxy to color it. Stark black looks good but the dark ocra gives a hint of brown that looks like knot wood. The nice thing with using the acrylics is that they're inexpensive and you can just mix them together to get the exact tone you want before adding the color to the epoxy. Fill the hole in layers to insure a good fill and cure.
If the finish is ultimately going to be a flat or satin low-luster finish then sand the epoxy filled areas so they are opaque (not shinny) and when you apply the finish, they will blend in nicely. Be careful when sanding though. The epoxy is much harder than the wood and if you're not careful you will sand the area around the knot holes lower than the epoxy. Best to over fill the holes ever so slightly then use a single-edged razor blade as a scraper to scrape the epoxy down level.
You may want to drill a couple of holes in some scraps and practice a few, I think you'll like the result. I've also used butterflies to cover.... make that, enhance an imperfection. Use the inlay set (Lee Valley, Rockler...) to do that as someone recommended.
Bob S.
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:05:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Bob

That's a good thing. I just plonked dickloose for that.

Cooked or raw okra? Oh, you mean ochre, the color? ;)
Can I give ya a 15 yard penalty for "Improper Staining Of Wood"? Nah, not enough wood in a missing knot hole, huh? Carry on.

"Shiny." Shinny is how one goes up a tree or pole, suh.

Why not use a cabinet scraper, Bob?

I ordered that but forgot to add the carbide end mill, blast it.
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... ----------------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com -- Wisearse Website Design
NORM would probably use a DUTCHMAN.